Outerbanks Diving, Cape Hatteras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterKtn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wanted to give a big thumbs up for Outerbanks Diving. My shop dove with them this past Sunday. The crew was wonderful - they went far beyond the call of duty for me, for sure. The water was really really rough on Sunday (we couldn't go out on Saturday due to small craft advisories) and it was difficult to manage, but once I got down, the seasickness went away and the sand tigers came out. I would highly recommend the shop/boat - spectacular customer service. They gear you up like a pit crew at a NASCAR race. Any crew that will basically gear you up while you are retching, guide you to the platform and do it all over again when you surface is tops in my motion sickness-prone opinion!

Thanks for the awesome swim with the sand tigers, guys!!!

Johnny and the gang are great! I just sent some divers to them earlier in the week and they haven't stopped raving about the extra care and assistance! NC Diving is not for everyone but it sure helps when the crew goes out of their way to be extra helpful! -ww

We dove the Dixie Arrow. We stayed there for both dives although I only made the first one and then retired to the top deck to be sick :( I didn't think we were going to get to go out on Sunday, so didn't put the Scop patch on the night before and by the time I did Sunday morning, it was too late. Oh well - next time I will know better - bad weather means to make sure to put the patch on because if you do get to go out, its going to be rough!

We had some very hospitable sand tigers come by for a look and I couldn't help but take a little swim with the last one I saw before I went up, knowing I probably wasn't going to make it back down for the second dive. It was pretty funny that the Discovery Channel had a show on last night talking about how they were almost as bad as bull sharks. These guys were in no way interested in hurting us at all - the one I swam near took his remoras and left when it became clear that I was coming towards him. Amazing, beautiful creatures.

I just got back from Hatteras and 2 dives with OBD. Totally awesome. I never dreamed there would be such life on those wrecks. We went on The Proteus on Sunday and NOrtheastern and Hesperides on Monday. They were TOTALLY different dives and sights, and both were wonderful. Two of us hired a guide (Milt) for the deeper dive, and we were glad we did, especially when we could hide behind him when the sharks were near!!!!!
The water was so clear on the shallow dives you could see the sandy bottom and the wrecks from the boat. The Proteus was also very clear, that indigo-blue like Gulf Stream water. Unfortunalely I injured myself (my own fault) and couldn't dive any more that week, but plan to return in September.
They have a very safety-conscious operation and the staff was very helpful and friendly. Couldn't ask for more.

You guys are making me envious with your dives. I thought the Sand Tiger is a different species than the Tiger Shark?

Those dives sound great! I'll be back with my seasickness meds next year if not sooner. Milt was on our trip too - great guy and one of my "pit crew" :)

The sand tiger is a different type of shark than the tiger. I'm not an expert, but from what I've learned about them, they are entirely fish eaters and their teeth and bite are much different than the tiger.

We just came back from diving in Hatteras. Do a search for Sand Tiger Shark at this site and you can see my video from the Dixie Arrow. You should also check out
www.capt-jt.com I know Johnny and his 65' boat, nice group. I've dove with J.T. 16 times since July. 45' boat, 6 pack, $125pp, A/C cabin with flat screen tv, Grill hot dogs and chips for lunch, Capt and 2 mates to assist. PM me if you want any info on him.

I need a dive partner to hopefully drive down from MD/DC area. Is anyone interested?? Call me 410-279-2897, Josh

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom