Out of gas - what happens next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since it has been quite some time since anyone actually answered the OP's question, I thought I would go through the thread and take stock. In a number of cases, it was not really clear from the description exactly what had taken place in the diver's experience. In a few cases, people used a phrase like "a few," so it was hard to put a numerical value on the experiences. The numbers below should, however, form a reasonable approximation of what people who actually experienced OOA situations described.

Donor gave regulator to OOA diver: 17
OOA diver took donor's alternate regulator, with or without signal: 9
OOA diver took donor's primary without signaling: 6
OOA diver went to surface from very shallow depth: 2

In only a few of the above situations did the description include the OOA diver being in a state of real panic.

The original purpose of this thread seems to have run its course, and I thought I might give some observations I made about beliefs about OOA situations I have observed during my 13 years on ScubaBoard. I will first describe two such beliefs I used to see expressed frequently and then comment upon them.

Belief #1: Whether you donate the primary or the alternate, you will be dealing with a completely berserk, panicked diver who will maul you in the process. That panic will not go away after the regulator has been secured, so be ready for a panicked, clawing drive for the surface. You are at great risk as the donor.

Belief #2: Agencies made a huge mistake when they dropped buddy breathing (taking turns breathing from one regulator) from the OW curriculum. Research indicating buddy breathing skills were too hard to learn and maintain are wrong. It is easy to learn, and the skills don't go away in time. Buddy breathers can take turns, taking two breaths while the buddy exhales and then passing the regulator back, as they swim gently all the way to the surface. One such buddy breathing advocate frequently compared it to the CESA, which he said was hopelessly dangerous and should have been dropped instead. People should learn buddy breathing rather than the CESA, he argued frequently.

Comment #1: Believe it or not, as I pointed out several times in those past threads, people who held belief #2 usually also held belief #1. I asked how that worked on a real dive. I imagined a berserk, panicked out of air diver approaching another diver like a complete maniac, preparing to do whatever it took to wrestle one of that diver's regulators away from him, not caring what harm he brought to that diver. At the last second he realizes that the other diver does not have an alternate air source at all. The OOA diver immediately feels a sense of pure relief flood over him. "Phew!" he thinks. "For a while I was afraid I was going to have to use an alternate air source. Now that I see he does not have one, that means we can buddy breathe! Great! I was really worried there for a minute!"

Comment #2: On several occasions, I responded to the person who said divers should be taught to use buddy breathing rather than the CESA. The CESA is recommended when the OOA diver is not close enough to another diver to use an alternate air source. I asked if rather than use the CESA to get to the surface, the OOA diver should instead swim around at depth, searching for a diver with no alternate air source so they could buddy breathe. He never answered that question, but he did repeat the same assertion at other times in other threads.

Belief #2: One such buddy breathing advocate frequently compared it to the CESA, which he said was hopelessly dangerous and should have been dropped instead. People should learn buddy breathing rather than the CESA, he argued frequently.

Assumes there is a buddy. Saw a DM have a total equipment failure at 80+ ft while unhooking from a wreck. Did a CESA. Sucked O2 for a while. Done diving for the day but was fine.

Good question. I would like to suggest an answer.

Take a look at the Opening Post:

I think the reason the thread has drifted is because not many people have any real experience with OOA situations. I know I certainly haven't, and I don't know many people who have.

This certainly suggests that these incidents are not nearly as widespread as some would have you believe. There was once a frequent SB poster who was both an instructor and dive guide at a resort location in the Pacific, and he/she (not clear which) wrote as if it happened on pretty much every dive, including instructional dives, and some people suggested that either he/she was the worst instructor in history, or he/she was a pathological liar.

She taught in Japan ... having experienced divers from Japan at various locales around the Pacific, I'm not sure how much actual instruction goes on over there before someone gets handed a c-card.

That said, little gas management gets taught by most agencies around the world besides "watch your gauge and end the dive with 500 psi (or equivalent bars)". It's a nice sentiment, but hardly qualifies as instruction.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think that would probably depend on the experience and confidence of the OOG diver. Their response to realizing they're out of air might be calm and intentional, or their response might be immediate panic.

I've watched "cherry" guys in Iraq scream and panic when the shooting started, and I've watched combat hardened vets walk around bitching like nothing was happening when the bullets started zipping past them and the mortars started falling 50 yards from them. Eventually the screaming cherries turn into the bitching like nothing's happening guys over time.

I'd guess the reaction would be the same for running out of air.

I think that would probably depend on the experience and confidence of the OOG diver.

Eventually the screaming cherries turn into the bitching like nothing's happening guys over time.

I want my dive buddies to be "screaming cherries" if they run out of air. I wouldn't want to dive with somebody that ran out of air so often they got used to it. :confused:

I want my dive buddies to be "screaming cherries" if they run out of air. I wouldn't want to dive with somebody that ran out of air so often they got used to it. :confused:

I don't think that's what happens, nor what he's describing. It's a mindset thing. For people with sufficient exposure to the environment, running out of air wouldn't be a big crisis ... even if they've never actually experienced it before. It would just be a situation they had to manage ... and they would have had experience managing situations underwater before, even if it wasn't this particular one.

The only time I ever found myself in a situation where I couldn't breathe underwater I was carrying 240 cubic feet of gas on my back. I had all the gas in the world ... but I just couldn't breathe any of it. The first thing that went through my mind was that my best shot at getting out of this was to relax and do what I had to do to fix the problem. That was purely a mental reaction ... I'd never experienced the problem (laryngospasm) before. But I had, by then, lots of experience resolving problems underwater ... which helped me react the way I did ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

LOL. I do it so often at radio Island that I'm used to it. I do it mostly as seff-training. I know I can just CESA to the surface from 35 feet so it isn't that big a deal. I pretty much know the "feel" of running out of air and can calmly switch to a redundant source. I've never actually run out of air in a "real" situation, but I like to think that if I did, I've practiced it so much that I would be able to stop - think - act rather than becoming a "screaming cherry". LOL

I was diving with a chick a few years ago on the Aeolus and her O-ring blew at 100 feet. Scared the crap out of her and she froze in panic for about 10 seconds but she snapped out of it on her own and we shared air for the surface. Once we got back on the boat she said she thought her tank had exploded, the noise of the escaping air blasting past her head was so loud. LOL

I've never actually run out of air in a "real" situation, but I like to think that if I did, I've practiced it so much that I would be able to stop - think - act rather than becoming a "screaming cherry". LOL

We should have an animated smiley for "screaming cherry." We used to have a "hair on fire." I guess we have this one...:sprint: :)

Back
Top Bottom