Our World Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I want my $8.00 back!

OMG! It was horrible. If they combine it w/ the Outdoor Show next year, I will never attend again. It was hillbilly central. I was actually embarrassed to be there.
Was every fool in the place blowing those stupid duck call things?
Were they shooting a sequel to Deliverence?
Whoever did this to OW-U should be b!tch slapped. Excuse my language.

I talked with a few of the vendors & they were unhappy about it too. On my way out I told the OW-U people how I felt about it. They said they'd had alot of complaints, but to be sure to go to their web site & let them know there.

Random thoughts on this years OWU....
1> Less exhibitors...
Do we really care...? I mean, comon we have the internet. Most manufacturers have fairly decent websites - they publish press releases. The same info is generally available here on ScubaBoard, The DecoStop, or Quest if you subscribe. Noticbly absent this year - 50% less travel destinations, live-a-boards & zero rebreathers. Do I really need to see the local dive shop w/ a booth? No - not really. But if they did have a booth - what would I like to see but no one had - a dive schedule so I could plan my summer!

2. The Film Show. Remember the title - Film - slideshows with voiceovers are not films. Oh - and where did they find the guy named Michele...? Is it entirely necessary to begin every introduction w/ 5 seemingly random quotes of sucking-up to the next presenter.

3. Also - is necessary to go on & on & on about everyone's hard work to put together the show. Did they run out of people to give awards to - so they just decided to give them to themselves...? Makes me think there will not be an 36th OWU 2006 - that and the "I'm Patrick Hammer, I own Our World Underwater" intro. Way too much self-promotion.

4. WTF was up w/ all the duck calls. Did anyone not realize presentations were going on in that wing of the convention center...?

5. Films - Friday night was far superior to Saturday in my opinion. Then again - I'm sure I'm in the minority as preferring wrecks over reefs.... But I'll give the Bouche's a nod for the octopus footage - it was awesome and worth seeing twice.

6. The seminars & films are the real reason to go to OWU - or any of the other regional scuba shows. Meeting & talking to some of the top folks, explorers or educators that do this thing we love.
Robert Marx's babbeling on about treasure hunting was a piece of work - I could listen to his stories & annecdotes for a while.
Tamera had a good presentation on the mine up in Wisconsin and the work their doing which led into a rather length discussion on local cave/mine options in the region out in the hallway.

Kat:
Okay, I want my $8.00 back!

OMG! It was horrible. If they combine it w/ the Outdoor Show next year, I will never attend again. It was hillbilly central. I was actually embarrassed to be there.
Was every fool in the place blowing those stupid duck call things?
Were they shooting a sequel to Deliverence?
Whoever did this to OW-U should be b!tch slapped. Excuse my language.

I talked with a few of the vendors & they were unhappy about it too. On my way out I told the OW-U people how I felt about it. They said they'd had alot of complaints, but to be sure to go to their web site & let them know there.

Glad to hear someone eles was thinking the same things! I got home depressed because it was so bad.

Well I have to put my 2-cents in,We came down and spent the weekend,my one son [13] did a dive in the pool,and loved soon to be a diver!,my 5 year old looked for the coins for the prize's at the kids show in the afternoon and well my wife and myself,and 13 year old son found all but [2] prior to 1 o'clock -Yes that was my 5 year old crying because he couldnt find the last two,
We headed up stairs and turned his sheet in and the guy said it was ok,and well it seemed strange the kids that all one the old coins were exibitors kids?? well I was P---ed,but at the end the kids that did not win anything got a musket ball and painted a pic,so all in all it made the small ones day.
Next tiime they stay at home,a pals dive resort booked some guest's so he did so-so,got to spend some time with Hal Watts and talked deep dives for free!,
Well next month Ghost ships is in Milwaukee and I know what thats all about

Wasn't the adventure sport show the previous weekend (or couple weeks prior)? It would ahve made more sense to team up with that show.

I felt it was worth my $19.00 to go (don't for get the $11.00 for parking). I had a bunch of questions for DUI, Zeagle, Halcyon, and a couple other manufacturers. I got to point at the gear and fiddle with it while I asked the questions. I even dragged one rep. to another's booth to point out my question regarding gear comparison.

Plus, on the bus from the parking lot to the show, I was the only person not in camoflage.

I thought about going, sounds like I made the right move missing it.
A friend of mine had a booth there. He said Wednesday and Thursday were dead, Friday a bit better, and Saturday was very good. Just that I'd pass that along.
I hope Pat changes his mind and does it the old way in 2006.

You should have parked in the CTA lot, north of the convention center. It's only a couple dollars.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom