Our Pet Duck

What do you think of Dabbles?

• Awww...she's cute! I want a duck now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Awww...she's cute, but I think I would prefer a cat or dog.

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Eh, whatever

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A duck? In an apartment? Are you crazy?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The only good duck is one that comes with orange sauce.

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

medic_diver45

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I think I have mentioned in at least one forum that we (my fiancee and I) have a pet duck we rescued from the local park after someone dumped her there. I thought everyone might like to see a picture of her (if there is a better place to put this please feel free to move it). Her name is Dabbles (NOTE: Jennifer named her, not me) and she's a Muscovy duck. She's become quite popular with the kids around our apartment complex as she is very tame and likes to be petted, especially when we take her for walks on her leash.

The geese at the pond we found her at were beating up on her and she has a permanently gimpy left wing now; we took her to the local vet that handles birds but she said that there isn't much that can be done. The wing sticks out to the side a little, but it doesn't seem to bother her too much.

Medic Diver, what evidence do you have that someone dumped this duck there? You have violated this ducks, duck given right to live in nature by stripping aways freedom. The very freedom we wish on all creatures underwater!

The geese at that park were meerly trying to court your duck and probably get into her feathers, if you know what I mean. You deprived this duck of some cross animalistic naughtyness!!

I am reporting you to the D.F.F. (Ducks For Freedom) organization.

Ok, I apologize..its Saturday night and I am drinking at home......

No problem....I'm used to hearing drunken ramblings. Just remember: Drink safely, drink responsibly Sorry, but that is something that must be done as part of my duty as a healthcare provider. ;-) (I'm drinking too)

So your duckie has a "lucky wing" huh? Nemo would be proud :)
(BTW I took the post out of whine-n-cheeze, it didn't look like you were whining)

Good boy Jep :wink:
Ber

Well, if you had a safe back yard, and the zoning people didn't cite you, I'd suggest getting a few more ducks and a wading pond. They have to copulate, in water, before they'll lay eggs, but they're awfully tasty! I used to gather the eggs every day during the warmer months when they'd lay, wash them, them grease with vegteble whatever it was, store them in dated boxes in a cool closet. Lasted for months thru the winter. Unfortunately, I lived in town then, and the zoning people foced me to get rid of them.

Your duck may continue to be okay as an apratment pet, but I doubt it. Really needs to be with other ducks, with a pond. Might look into petting zoos, in case the time comes. :D

We live on the third floor of an apartment building, at least until next May, and don't have our own yard, but we do take her down to the park across the street and let her visit with the other ducks. She also swims in our bathtub whenever she wants (she'll walk into the bathroom and stand there and start making a ruckus, which is our cue to put some water in the tub for her).

We're planning on renting a house coming May (when Jen starts working after she graduates college) and are seriously going to try and find somewhere we can have a small pond and get a few more ducks.

As for looking into petting zoos and stuff, we thought of that and had no luck. The only petting zoos we could find they already have all the ducks they can handle (one of them is actually trying to get rid of a couple of theirs).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom