Our own Divinman's photo forever set in ink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rofl3: :mooner: :rofl3:

Thats the best one I've heard so far.

I did like the one that went, Terry was on your *** before he even arrived, and, You can tell people you really do have a slug on your back and no it's not your sister in law...

Thanks Tyler, you put a big ole smile on my face.

divekim:
I got my tat on the 11th and went diving the night of the 12th. Ahhhh, the joys of a drysuit....

How long did they recommend you stay on the surface? I want a tattoo, but I'm going to the Turks and Caicos on April 19th

I honestly can't tell you, it sort of went in one ear and out the other. Diving a drysuit meant it wasn't going to get wet so it wasn't going to keep me on the surface.

I would think about 2 weeks to give it a chance to completly heal.

Your tattoo artist will give you instructions which will include how long to stay out of the ocean. Call them and ask so you can plan accordingly.

Kim

adamweldonjohnson:
How long did they recommend you stay on the surface? I want a tattoo, but I'm going to the Turks and Caicos on April 19th

Googling "tattoo swimming" turns up the answer in less time than it takes to type it. The general rule of thumb seems to be "at least 2 weeks". Here are some noteworthy excerpts:

Initial healing of a tattoo is about 5 to 10 days, complete healing of a tattoo is 45 days, this is how long it takes for skin to regenerate itself after being damaged.

Waiting until the scab has come off is the most sensible opinion IF you're not going to quit the swimming, but really it takes up to 3 months for a new protective layer of skin to form over the tattoo.

Before that point and certainly for the first 2/3 weeks, it is very much still an open wound. Lake and ocean water are teeming with bacteria and could cause an infection. Swimming pool water has chlorine in it which has a bleaching effect on a new tattoo. Need we say more?

In summary: Unless you're diving dry (where you don't get wet), wait until the scabs come off, or two weeks, whichever is longer. If you can force yourself to wait 3-4 weeks, all the better. So if you're going to T&C on 4/19, you have time... barely, but go get that tat now or you may not have time to heal completely! (And for gosh sakes keep it protected from the sun while you're there!)

You know what they say about rules.......they are ment to be broken. I am sure there are a few folks out there that were in the water much too soon. ..................Like Jetfixer.........

JDog:
You know what they say about rules.......they are ment to be broken. I am sure there are a few folks out there that were in the water much too soon. ..................Like Jetfixer.........
Has nothing to do with "rules"... it's just you risk messing up the tattoo if you get it wet too soon, and risk infection. If you're ok with the risk, have at it!

JDog is correct. I do not recommend diving the day after you get inked. :shakehead

Especially at a remote atoll in the pacific :11doh: At the first sight of infection, I thought I was going to have my legs chopped off!

Two weeks would probably suffice. I would wait a solid month.

CompuDude:
Has nothing to do with "rules"... it's just you risk messing up the tattoo if you get it wet too soon, and risk infection. If you're ok with the risk, have at it!

Fortunately, mine survived just fine even risking it. Wouldn't do it again. Especially if you are out of the country.

I would certainly take as many precautions as you can. Even though I was diving dry and not worried about the water and possible infection, I did take great care to make sure none of my equipment rested on or rubbed against the tattoo as this too can ruin it before it heals. Luckily the tattoo was placed in an area that did not make contact with the BC or anything else and I kept it covered while diving so my undergarments didn't rub against it either.

Kim

Back
Top Bottom