Our New Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ruminari

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just had to say how excited my wife and I are to have just gotten our new gear. Here's our line up:

Oceanic Pro FX BCDs
Oceanic Delta 3 regs
Oceanic Slimline Octos
Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus 2
Aeris analog Depth/Pressure

Hehehe we just kinda went Oceanic everything, well except for the analog. Although Scubatoys said it is exactly the same as the Oceanic unit. We are planning on just splitting the one dive computer until we can afford a 2nd one. We can't wait to get out and go diving this weekend in Seattle. Cold but it should still be fun!!!!

Ruminari:
Just had to say how excited my wife and I are to have just gotten our new gear. Here's our line up:

Oceanic Pro FX BCDs
Oceanic Delta 3 regs
Oceanic Slimline Octos

Hehehe we just kinda went Oceanic everything, well except for the analog. Although Scubatoys said it is exactly the same as the Oceanic unit. We are planning on just splitting the one dive computer until we can afford a 2nd one. We can't wait to get out and go diving this weekend in Seattle. Cold but it should still be fun!!!!
Oceanic is a good brand but i dont think you should spli the computer, each one has to use their own

Ruminari:

Oceanic Pro FX BCDs
Oceanic Delta 3 regs
Oceanic Slimline Octos

I have three of the Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus models; one for wife, son and myself. We have made dozens of dives with these units along with using them in pool sessions with students.

They work great and you will appreciate the big graphs. I replace the battery once a year whether it shows low or not. They run about $12 to $15 at Radio Shack and take a total of about five minutes.

Good luck with your diving.

Ruminari:
We are planning on just splitting the one dive computer until we can afford a 2nd one.

Sharing a computer is a very bad idea, and the reasons covered in most open water courses. Even most manufacturers have added this as a note into their manuals, and any Dive Op with a good reputation will not allow this either.

Even with a computer, you should also plan on your tables in the event that your computer fails. The computer is merely an aid. :crafty:

Thanks for the recommendations everyone. My wife and I just aren't able to afford 2 computers at the current time, hopefully next year once we are out of graduate school we can afford a second one. Anyhow our diving style is a very close proximity diving style and are never more than a few feet apart, hence why we feel comfortable using only 1 cpu. Of course whichever of us has the analog will have a keen eye on their air, not saying the person with the computer won't either.

Anyhow a quick update. I turns out the computer needs to be replaced as the audible alarm is not functioning. Oceanic said either send it into them for a replacement or take it into an authorized dive shop and they will hopefully just switch it out for us.

We were hoping to get out and go diving this weekend but I ended up injuring my thigh and had to go to the ER on Wednesday. Guess we will have to wait until next weekend to test things out in the chilly waters of Seattle.

On a positive note a friend dropped of a cylinder for us to hook our gear up to. It was good at least pretending that we were diving and actually being able to hook all of our gear up to a cylinder for testing. The only problem that we encountered was that if you tapped the purge button on one of the Delta 3 regs it free flowed until you turned off the cylinder pressure. This only occured if the adjustable inhalation effort was set on the lower side of the dial. Does anyone know if this would be something a dive shop should be able to fix if we were just to take it into the shop next weekend before diving or if I could possibly fix it myself? Finally is there really that much difference between the dive/predive switch in breathing effort? My wife and I played around with it a little but didn't really notice any difference.

Oh forgot to thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. :)

Ruminari:
The only problem that we encountered was that if you tapped the purge button on one of the Delta 3 regs it free flowed until you turned off the cylinder pressure. This only occured if the adjustable inhalation effort was set on the lower side of the dial. Does anyone know if this would be something a dive shop should be able to fix if we were just to take it into the shop next weekend before diving or if I could possibly fix it myself? Finally is there really that much difference between the dive/predive switch in breathing effort? My wife and I played around with it a little but didn't really notice any difference.

One way to fix a free flow likw that is to blow into the reg. Pressure in the 2nd stage will push the diaphrame outward and close the valve. Delta regs do hava a very wide range of adjustment on the inhalation knob. You can open it up to the point where it will free flow. You pprobibly any want to open it that far if you are at about 100 feet, even then full open was to far for my taste. My Apex reg has a much narrower range.

I think most people agree that the dive/predive setting does very little. It is suposed to prevent a free flow like you describe.

What is your buddy sepparation plan? Please don't say "it won't happen" Hopefully the diver with no computer has a depth gage and a watch so s/he can monitor an acent rate. After that the computer is ufull to only one diver

Ruminari:
My wife and I just aren't able to afford 2 computers at the current time, hopefully next year once we are out of graduate school we can afford a second one. Anyhow our diving style is a very close proximity diving style and are never more than a few feet apart, hence why we feel comfortable using only 1 cpu

Ruminari:
The only problem that we encountered was that if you tapped the purge button on one of the Delta 3 regs it free flowed until you turned off the cylinder pressure. This only occured if the adjustable inhalation effort was set on the lower side of the dial. Does anyone know if this would be something a dive shop should be able to fix ...

Not something that needs fixing... That's not broke. Because of the venture design of regs, once you start the air flow, it should continue with no effort - so they build that in. You need to fix regs that don't do that! And you can stop the free flow instantly by simply putting your finger on the mouthpiece and covering the hole for a second. Then you build up enough backpressure to move the diaphragm back to it's original position and stop the venturi flow.

You may not have experienced this with cheaper rental regs... but the regs you have are extremely easy breathing high performance - and that is how any top reg like that will work.

I have to agree that you really need second computer. I know Larry has a great deal on an Aeris Atmos 1 wrist computer (not Nitrox) that you can get for $147. Would be hard to beat that!! Plus I'd think you could pop it out of the wristband and into your console, but you'd have to check on that for sure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom