Our local reefs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paolov

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Lets have a serious thread on the state of our reefs and what we can do about it.

Let's try our best to keep the posts here serious about the SERIOUSNESS of our reefs state

95% of Reefs ruined

Here lets discuss what we can do about it. Lets use our networks to do our part to help make a dent in reviving our own reefs.

in doing so we help the world be a better place by being responsible divers enjoying our seas.

Let's deal here what the deleted thread was first intending to acomplish. this time using our collective network to address some concerns brought .

OFF-TOPIC posts shall be deleted this time here. Please help us not clutter this with irrelevant nor argumentative statements.

Let all posts here be on the positive aspect of what we can do to improve the reefs condition. No bashing please.

we converted 1 of our natural sciences (required units) into "environmental factors in design" - we immerse the kids in environmental issues and they work towards designs that are both eco friendly and communicate eco awareness...

last weekend they released pawikan hatchlings in bataan and learned important things about turtle conservation and related issues

i'm definitely for increasing awareness in my students... education and awareness is key...

Jag

Non-enforcement of existing regulations is one of the top problems worldwide, and particularly bad in this region. Somebody has to go out there and patrol those fishing-protected areas.

i agree with jag...awareness is really the key element to push something like this. problem is only divers see the reefs...while we can easily relate to the problem, the general public can only guess what's beneath 15ft of seawater.

as pao has posted reef check did a press release...c'mon guys, in this country of ours who will notice such a small press release on our politics laden newpapers.

filipinos, even if they wanted to help, don't really know how to...

paolov:
Those in MSI , can we have resource people share their expert opinion with us.

Chip, can this be done?

cge, I'll ask...

I can find some articles that I could post. Archman has some nice one's too.

My .02 bar, although we mean well by protecting our reefs, it is a fact that people who live near our reefs have no other means of livelihood. It is a good idea to make these fishermen aware of our concern for these natural resources, however, one of the issues here is providing a different livelihood for these people. We just can't tell them to stop fishing if they don't have any food on the table. This is not just an issue in the Philippines but a global issue. It is even happening in the Galapagos. It should be a concentrated effort from the local community and not just a handful of divers who go there once a week. There is always the issue of the city-folk telling what the people from the rural areas should do, which is not always accepted.

Another issue that we face are the illegal foreign vessels that visit our waters. With the absence of a formidable navy, I doubt that we could stop this practice. I've noticed that we kowtow too much to our neigbours. We catch these fishermen then let them go only to fish in our waters again.

I believe it worked in Sorsogon where former fishermen are now tour guides for the elusive butanding. Instead of eating them, they now treasure them, since it's brought an alternative form of livelihood for them.

I think that this problem is caused by the very same thing that causes other problems in the Philippines, OVER POPULATION. There's just too many people in our country and concentrated usually in particular areas. As long as there are people who live along the coastal areas and multiplying every year they will continue to harvest the sea with everything its got. When you have a family of 5 and your source of income is fishing, the last thing in your mind is conservation. And when this family of 5 multiplies lets say another 5 for each 3 children, its an additional people to support for the ocean. Long-term, the country has to find a way to control population.

I believe that the short-term action plan is educating these people on the effects of destructive fishing on the very reefs that give them livelihood. Alternative livelihood is also a way to stop them from blasting or poisoning the ocean. Anilao, I think is a good example of how alternative livelihood has helped. Former fishermen now have alternative source of incomes from boat rentals by divers (Did you know that the resorts don't get a cut from the boat fees you pay? it all goes to the bangkero). Regular diving in the area augments if not replace their fishing income preventing them from resolving to dynamite fishing or cyanide for more fish.

well... maybe the local divers could source an UW video footage of your local dive sites and show them for free to local barangays & local schools in Batangas...
That would help them appreciate the underwater world of Anilao...:07:

Thats what some of the local divers here in Melbourne did..public awareness to put a stop on dredging our bay:wink:

so if you have enough moolah for an UWvideo cam.....donate your artistic time:D

see http://www.bluewedges.org/

Axua:
I think that this problem is caused by the very same thing that causes other problems in the Philippines, OVER POPULATION. There's just too many people in our country and concentrated usually in particular areas. As long as there are people who live along the coastal areas and multiplying every year they will continue to harvest the sea with everything its got. When you have a family of 5 and your source of income is fishing, the last thing in your mind is conservation. And when this family of 5 multiplies lets say another 5 for each 3 children, its an additional people to support for the ocean. Long-term, the country has to find a way to control population.

I believe that the short-term action plan is educating these people on the effects of destructive fishing on the very reefs that give them livelihood. Alternative livelihood is also a way to stop them from blasting or poisoning the ocean. Anilao, I think is a good example of how alternative livelihood has helped. Former fishermen now have alternative source of incomes from boat rentals by divers (Did you know that the resorts don't get a cut from the boat fees you pay? it all goes to the bangkero). Regular diving in the area augments if not replace their fishing income preventing them from resolving to dynamite fishing or cyanide for more fish.

I wouldn't mind if the bangkeros gets all the proceeds of a boat rental, as long as it stops them fishing for a day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom