OTS Spectrum reviews ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Takimbe,

Thanks so much for sharing your review of our Spectrum Full Face Mask! Do you happen to have a photo you'd be OK to share with your review so that we may post on our Social Media pages / monthly newsletter?

Feel free to email me at : anelson@otscomm.com or reply here

Cheers!

I have been working overseas, but will send you some pics when I get home and have a chance to process them.

Takimbe,

Thanks so much for sharing your review of our Spectrum Full Face Mask! Do you happen to have a photo you'd be OK to share with your review so that we may post on our Social Media pages / monthly newsletter?

Feel free to email me at : anelson@otscomm.com or reply here

Cheers!

Sent you a few pics to your email!

Hello everyone,

Sorry to bring up a old thread but I just recently bought a OTS SPECTRUM. I absolutely love the design and feel of the mask but I installed my aqualung Titan qd and it's a bit hard to breathe. My Titan breathes extremely well without a FFM but doesn't breathe well with a FFM. I'm convinced that it's my regulator so I'm in the market for a new regulator set and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on which reg that I should get for the spectrum.

Any feedback would be appreciated

-Mike

Just completed 3 days of diving in Cozumel with my new Spectrum. It was the best diving experience I have ever had. I have always had problems with significant leaking...to the point where I had pretty much given up on diving. With the Spectrum I had zero leaking. Zero. I could get in any position without any concern for water sloshing around in my mask. No more constant clearing of the mask. It was awesome!

I had zero fogging. I took great care to apply 200ft VIZ defog hours before the dive (if not the night before). I let it dry and then buffed it out with a microfiber cloth. ZERO fogging.

I do have the ABS installed and I consider that a must have on the mask.

My air consumption was a little higher than in the past. Could have been the mask. Could be that it has been some years since I had been diving.

Some words of caution for those thinking about buying a Spectrum. Be aware that it does not work with all second stages. You cannot use a second stage that has a double lip barrel. So, take the mouthpiece off of your second stage to check before you buy the mask. If you have a US Diver Conshelf 21, don't bother checking. If has a double lip.

The mask will not work with all regulators. I replaced my Conshelf 2nd stage with a Trident LX second stage. The mask fit on the second stage, but the Conshelf 21 first stage couldn't deliver enough air to keep the mask from shuddering when I inhaled. The good folks at OTS explained that any full fask mask can shudder and they saw that most frequently with low-end regulators (like a 30 year old Conshelf 21).

So, my mask ended up being pretty expensive as I replaced my Conshelf 21 with a Aqua Lung Legend LX. But I couldn't be happier because it works like a dream and the investment has restored my enthusiasm for diving. When my wife saw the credit card statement, she told me I better do a lot of diving. So, it has worked out really well.

Despite the cautions mentioned above, please take this post as a huge endorsement for the mask.

This is an old thread but I am looking for more detailed information on adjusting the spectrum for fit. I am also having issues with the mask slipping off my chin or just barely under it. I have monkeyed with the straps to no avail. Can you provide some details on what you did for adjustment?

I'm also curious about the Spectrum fit. I'm using a Seasoft FFM hood and the Spectrum seems to be too short (lengthwise) from the bridge of the nose to the chin. I've also had issues with the FFM slipping off the chin. Anyone have any other suggestions? I've played with the fit, strap tension, strap tightening order, etc. and I'm starting to think that the Spectrum just won't work as a cold water device for me. (which sucks!) I love using it in warm water, but I also notice the same length issue where I have to constantly keep pulling the chin portion of the mask back down on my chin.

I recently just sold my spectrum. It was just an awkward fit for me. I had the same issues. The distance from the bridge of the nose to the chin cup was just to short. If I had the mask positioned on my face correctly it wouldn't slip over the chin. If I pulled it low enough to slip over the chin it would be pressing hard on the bridge of my nose. I loved being able to equalize with a nose squeeze but I felt the mask was just to short for my face.

I now own both the OTS Guardian and Ocean reef G.Diver masks. I have much fewer dives with the Guardian but I really prefer it's V style nose block over the G.Diver. I recently designed a v style nose block similar to the OTS for the Oceanreef and I am pretty happy with it.

I hope the spectrum works out for others as it is a far less expensive option, but for me the fit just wasn't right.

I'm also curious about the Spectrum fit. I'm using a Seasoft FFM hood and the Spectrum seems to be too short (lengthwise) from the bridge of the nose to the chin. I've also had issues with the FFM slipping off the chin. Anyone have any other suggestions? I've played with the fit, strap tension, strap tightening order, etc. and I'm starting to think that the Spectrum just won't work as a cold water device for me. (which sucks!) I love using it in warm water, but I also notice the same length issue where I have to constantly keep pulling the chin portion of the mask back down on my chin.
I kept having to do that with a ff hood until I discovered it wasn't so much the mask as the hood. More air got under the hood with the Spectrum than with a Guardian I was playing around with. As a result the hood was blowing up and trapping air. Something to do with the designs of the masks I guess.
Two approaches tried and one worked well the other , eh.
The "eh" approach was to exhale slower. Not good because it changed my breathing rate.
What really worked was adding a couple of small vent holes in the hood. To the point where the problem was solved almost completely. So much as not be noticeable now if I have the strap properly adjusted.

• Another air pocket. I don't think I realized the impact of having a large airpocket on your face. It through off my trim a bit, but it also resulted in the mask wanting to float off my face. Maybe I didn't tighten the straps correctly, but the mask kept wanting to float up over my chin.

There were a few other complaints on this thread, over buoyancy issues; but I don't recall whether anyone has used ballasts.

Those that came along with my FFM (not OTS), solved any shallow water issues; though, admittedly, the mask is made heavier . . .

Back
Top Bottom