OTS buddy phone yes or no

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funthea

Registered
Reaction score
:confused: I have read alot of old threads here on the subject and I have read that most professionals use or would rather use hard wire comms. However, I am looking to hear from those who actually own or have personally used the OTS buddy phone. Your experience and opinion would be appreciated.:shakehead:

I have a set of the OTS Buddy Phone with the duckbill Half-Mask, and think they work great, the are much clearer than a Divelink set I have used. It does take a little effort to get the mask adjusted just right and if you're going to use these a lot it may help to de-tune your primary second stage regulator (due to the extra space in the duck-bill it puts the reg in a near free-flow/positive pressure state), being able to use 9volt batteries is a plus for convenience, and you tend to use a bit more air but they are a lot of fun.

Thanx for the quick reply. I had heard that they don't work so well unless their is direct line of sight to the transceiver. You sound as though this may not have been a problem for you. It sounds as though you have a pretty possitive opinion of them.:blinking:

funthea:
Thanx for the quick reply. I had heard that they don't work so well unless their is direct line of sight to the transceiver. You sound as though this may not have been a problem for you. It sounds as though you have a pretty positive opinion of them.:blinking:

I think you'd be surprised as to how well they work. My wife uses a Buddy Phone, I use the SSB-2010. There can be shadowing issues, they use ultrasound, it's kinda like talking to someone in any environment, sometimes you have to stick your head around a corner or out of a doorway to talk to someone at home or at the office. I've seen ranges out to several hundred yards and more, a couple of hundred yards is pretty easy. Once, while diving off Klein Bonaire, we heard someone talking from Bonaire, later we found out that there were divers using Buddy Phones staying at the same resort. We couldn't understand what they were saying, but we could tell there was someone else talking. Checking the distance on Google Earth, I'm guessing it was around a mile, line of sight.

I'd recommend a good full face mask instead of the half mask.

Thanx for the input. I'm getting ready to buy the buddy phone and AGA set up. Just really needed to be reassured it was worth the jump.

It works well if you are being a good buddy. Don't expect a "same ocean buddy" cell phone.

Some people dive to get away from chatter, some don't even realize that's the case until they get coms.

Expect your SAC rate to rise significantly.

Once you become proficient using the AGA mask, you find that you don't use significantly more gas than with a standard reg. It might take 15 or 20 dives to get there. Don't judge the mask by the first few dives, give it a while. Seek out someone experienced with the equipment and get some training on it. Spend some time in the pool, learn to doff and don the mask properly and practice emergency procedures.

The next question, who are you going to talk to? I'm assuming you have a buddy that's going to get the same system.

mntdiver:
Once you become proficient using the AGA mask, you find that you don't use significantly more gas than with a standard reg. It might take 15 or 20 dives to get there. Don't judge the mask by the first few dives, give it a while. Seek out someone experienced with the equipment and get some training on it. Spend some time in the pool, learn to doff and don the mask properly and practice emergency procedures.

The next question, who are you going to talk to? I'm assuming you have a buddy that's going to get the same system.
Don't you find that even after your SAC rate has settled down for the AGA it still goes up when you're chattering away? I know mine does.

Thalassamania:
Don't you find that even after your SAC rate has settled down for the AGA it still goes up when you're chattering away? I know mine does.

I use the equipment as standard equipment everywhere I dive, whether working, playing in warm water or chasing bugs here in California. The novelty of comms is long gone and it's a tool. Most of the time, what's said, needs to be said, little more. Routinely, when we're diving on charter boats, we first off and last back on the boat. We average between 100 and 120 dives a year with AGA's, and it's all we use. For the most part, proficiency with the equipment is the key.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom