Other than Key Largo...suggestions for newby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Painter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am planning a trip for early November. I'm already committed to two days in Key Largo, and I coud stay a third. I have heard, though, that Looe Reef is worth a trip. Any suggestions as to whether I should just do a third day at K.L. or try Looe Reef. If so, who with? Or someplace else? By the way, I am newly certified, so I'm sure that just about anything will be good, but I am interested in variety..

I would either stay in Key Largo or drive all the way down to key west and dive the vandy or maybe the cayman. Those are AOW spots though.

Looe key is not what it used to be, and I'd honestly rather dive molasses reef over Looe key any day.

Do you have an AOW cert.? I ask because dive op. willingness to take you on deep wreck dives may be impacted by that. Could affect your options.

Richard.

Looe Key is often a Blow-Out.
And that is the second worst time of year to try for it.

Chug
Marathon to Key Largo fan.

<-----5 x Keys tirpper...

IMO...stick with Key Largo. Safe, known entity, and quite frankly...is really the better of possible options. The Pennecamp is a wonderful place to dive...and I've NEVER...not been able to locate a divable site somewhere along the reef in less than steller conditions..and NOV..is sorta sketchy at times.
Just my advice...now I gotta go and pack dive gear..yeah...leaving for a week in the Keys wedn lol.

Bubs

Not AOW. Barely OW. Thanks for the good advice.

If you're flying into or out of Ft Lauderdale, you can also dive in Pompano. The shallow reef line is quite beautiful and one of my favorites. If you're staying in the Keys exclusively, then I'd just dive Key Largo. There are so many sites to see that you'll be impressed. I've tried to dive Looe Key several times but have been blown out by marine conditions each time. Its a nice reef according to my daughter and a dive buddy, but it is an iffy proposition outside of calm summer waters.

Yo bubs, drinks while you are here?

Painter, while you are here consider getting your AOW class.I recently dove Look Key for the first time in the 5 years I've lived in Key Largo and it was lovely. There is so much to see up here, It would take you a month than to dive every site up here with no repeats. Molasses Reef alone has 32 different moorings bals, each site is just a bit different. Weather can impact diving especially in November, but with so many sites here usually the Capt can find a dive able spot.Have fun.

Last edited:
I'll give ya a call when I get in Thursday Elena...

Kurt

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom