Other Texas Scuba Parks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know of CCSP and Athens, but are there other scuba parks like these in other parts of Texas? How do they compare? Or are there other places worth driving to check out in Texas? Aquarena Springs seems like a cool one. I'd like to setup some weekend trips to go check them out. Thanks.

Windy Point, Mansfield Dam (both on lake travis) my favorites, good facilities, the water won't turn your gear green like Athens.

Lake Whitney has an old scuba park as does Possummmm Kingdom,,,but the conditions at both lakes is poor for the most part. Twin Lakes scuba park in Houston and the Blue Lagoon in Huntsville. Of all the 'scuba parks' CSSP is by far the best in Texas.

Aw man, that's no fun to hear :) Was looking forward to some weekend travel to better dive spots.

Jarrett:
Aw man, that's no fun to hear :) Was looking forward to some weekend travel to better dive spots.

As you gain exp. in your diving you will find that even these less than perfect spots offer challenges in improving skills and beckon you to new discoveries in scuba diving,,,,its great training to dive these other sites (always in a buddy team with a defined dive plan). Go for it.....but dive within your training/exp. and pers. limits--always....safety first!

texdiveguy:
As you gain exp. in your diving you will find that even these less than perfect spots offer challenges in improving skills and beckon you to new discoveries in scuba diving,,,,its great training to dive these other sites (always in a buddy team with a defined dive plan). Go for it.....but dive within your training/exp. and pers. limits--always....safety first!

Amen... If you can nav in Texas.. you can nav anywhere.

Jarrett:

You could check out seven and a half fathom reef in Corpus. I haven't been there yet so I can't give a report. I'm hitting the Flower Gardens first.

Balmora (not sure if I spelled it correct) springs in West Texas is supposed to be clear and full of life, but it's not very deep. I haven't been there yet either.

Don't forget to look at OK, LA and AK. They are only a short drive for DFW (in Texas drivng terms).

texdiveguy:
Lake Whitney has an old scuba park as does Possummmm Kingdom,,,but the conditions at both lakes is poor for the most part. Twin Lakes scuba park in Houston and the Blue Lagoon in Huntsville. Of all the 'scuba parks' CSSP is by far the best in Texas.

Alan- Do you paid by CSSP for referrals?

My God, I have never heard someone talk up a freaking gravel pit so much in my entire life. I will take Lake Travis any day of the week over that gravel pit.

Convenient yes, nice- you must be delusional.

South of San Marcos-
Canyon Lake is an option nothing special about it, engineered lake. Lots of cars in one end.

San Marcos River-
Might want to add the San Marcos River- that is a nice float/drift dive in San Marcos.
I have developed a simple in/ out routine for people driving in a single car.

Aquarena Springs-
The scientific diver course can be done and then you could dive in the protected Spring lake of Aquarena.
Web- http://www.aquarena.txstate.edu/diving.html (scientific diver course.)
Sidenote- the San Marcos river is spring fed, clear and a constant temp all year round- but not deep. Great in the winter.

Balmorhea State Park-
Balmorhea State Park is a good winter site. Out by Pecos Texas (heck of a drive) the site is a converted spring into a very big swimming pool. It is fun for about one weekend in the winter when you are feening for a warm water dive. Be warned the town is basic- as in two dining options. If doing this I would suggest hitting the observatory or Carlsbad cavers. We did Carlsbad and had a blast!

Interesting Map from Dive Training-
http://www.dtmag.com/dive-usa/sc.html
However, be warned they are numerous errors on this map for names, and locations.
But it is a place to start.

In the future-
Rumor has it that A&M is to sink there older ship some where in South Texas. Yet, to hear specifics about that; more to come.

The USS Oriskany (ex- US aircraft carrier) is to be sunk off of Pensacola Fl. and I am already looking to put together a group of divers for a weekend trip. 12hour drive (max.) it would be probably a three day trip. Leave Friday early return Sunday. The site is a far ways out (25 miles off shore- off the top of my head.) The outing is for advanced divers only! Flight deck will be an estimated 100ft and lower flight deck is at an estimated 130ft. Overhead environment and great site for wreck, photo, and decompression.
Will advice as things develop

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom