OTB Boots for wetsuits/drysuits!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiSCo78

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi!

I wanted to let you know that OTB Footwear is having a sale on their products for the coming holiday. I checked the website (OTB Boots) and it's for 20% off.

Last year at DEMA, I met the founder of the company, and his footwear is used by the most demanding customers, our military. I have been diving some of his boots for the past couple of months. They're not like cheap neoprene booties/canvas rockboots. They actually have no neoprene at all. They expel water quicky, via drain holes in the bottom of the outsole. They also have awesome grip from the outsole material and siping for decks and wet rocks. They are very light weight and supportive too. The internal volume can be customized on some models because of different combinations of the included footbeds. Plus, they just look pretty bad ass. True story: I was in Bonaire recently, and when one of the boat captains/divemasters saw my SARs he said, "Now THAT'S a dive boot!" It turns out that he was a combat diver for the Dutch Marines. He should be getting a pair of these soon...

The founder comes from the footwear industry, so these shoes are top quality. Sorry to go on about these, but am in the footwear biz. too, and totally appreciate these kind of things (shoe geek!). There is also an excellent review of them here: Military Morons Footwear

I thought I read a while back that USIA was thinking about doing something with these...

Anyway, these need to be checked out!!!

These are a really nice boot. They are a little spendy, but from all of the over-boots I have looked at, they are far and away the best built for diving. Personally, I still prefer attached boot, but we are still looking at using these as an alternative, especially for law enforcement sales.

You should see if one of the mods can move this over to the Scuba Marketplace section- ads are allowed there.

Hi tc246,

Yeah, upon reading my post again, it does sound like an ad! That's what happens when you've been in the retail and car sales biz... sorry! I've been known to do that... I'm actually not selling them. I put it in this section because of the reviews that you'll find. There are others who are excited about products that they use, so I thought this would be similar. When I saw that they were on sale, I thought it would be good to let others know! I don't want to think how much I've already spent on this sport -yikes.

Anyways, these boots are not like the ones you'll find from Bare, Pinnacle, DUI, O'neill, etc. You can use them on land when you're not diving!

Must have been that "Development Coordinator in the footwear industry" you have listed under occupation and being in the same state as the company you're promoting that fooled me into thinking you were just spamming the board.

I've seen these before. I am curious how they size them compared to DUI Rockboots. Are they similar in width?

tc246,
It was the weirdest thing. At DEMA, I saw this picture of a Navy SEAL, looked down, saw boots, and made a beeline towards them. Total coincidence that his company is in the same state. Then again, there are actually many footwear companies in the area: Reebok, adidas, Puma, New Balance, Stride Rite, Sperry, Tommy Hilfiger, Converse, Etonic, Footjoy, Saucony...

Perrone,
The toe volume is greater than in the DUI Rockboots with the footbeds removed, and the shoe is a little wider per given size, a fuller cut. I can fit a size 9 Rockboot into an XL OMS Slipstream fin, but cannot fit a size 8 otb Abyss.

Rockboots (in comparison with the Abyss):

Plus
-easier donning/doffing with the more generous opening
-lace toggle requires no tying
-may fit your current wetsuit boot fin without having to go up a fin size

Minus
-wet grip not as good
-laces fray
-not as much ankle support
-cannot adjust internal volume
-less toe and heel protection
-water does not drain out as fast
-are heavier
-lack fin padding for your instep

The price difference between them is negligible.

I do mostly shore diving, so grip, ankle support, and protection from rocks are important to me. Even my wetsuit boots have a substantial midsole. So these boots are perfect for me. I dive them with a Pinnacle Evolution 2 with neoprene socks. I love the combo because I can get dragged along rocks and not worry about them!

Thank you for that detailed brief. I have rather large feet (12.5) and the size 13 Rockboot fit me perfectly with my drysuit sock and wool socks. I am not worried about fin size. I have drysuit and wetsuit fins.

I also have to walk some unfriendly terrain to get to some of my dive sites. So I understand the need for ankle support. Unfortunately, I actually like (need) the weight of the rockboots, so it looks like they are still the best choice for me.

Thanks again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom