Ostracods - best place to see?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No help with time but a long time resident and diver recommends Oil slick. No lights, easy entry and exit and you can even put a tank light on the ladder if you like.

I've been told the same. But went the lazy route and just dove of Capt Don.
After the dive while rinsing up the gear a few people came by to store their stuff and asked us if we saw them. The way they described it was much more impressive than what we saw... which was pretty amazing by the way. But yes, they went to Oil Slick and made me feel that'll be what I do next time.

Just wonder why is not so easy to find boats that go out at night. That's going to be my next mission. Any one has connections for boat dives at night?

Just wonder why is not so easy to find boats that go out at night. That's going to be my next mission. Any one has connections for boat dives at night?

Dive Friends Bonaire does night dives - both UV and Ostracod. Don't know if they are from shore or boat.

Ok, just to make sure I have read everyone correctly - I should be in the water at least 10 minutes before nautical twilight?

So for March 22nd, nautical twilight is 7:29PM. So, maybe gear up by 7 and then get to our spot by 7:20?

I think I might do Weber's Joy or Oil Slick. About how deep should we aim to settle down around? And we should look for them near a reef?

Ok, just to make sure I have read everyone correctly - I should be in the water at least 10 minutes before nautical twilight?

So for March 22nd, nautical twilight is 7:29PM. So, maybe gear up by 7 and then get to our spot by 7:20?

I think I might do Weber's Joy or Oil Slick. About how deep should we aim to settle down around? And we should look for them near a reef?
Your timing is good. Both sites shoujld be good. Near a reef, yes. They live on the bottom, but seem to like to be near gorgonians and coral heads. Depth? Maybe 25-40 ft or so. Make sure you have no lights on so your eyes can dark-adjust.

What time do you mean by dusk?
Check the OFFICIAL time of Sunset 3 - 5 days AFTER FULL MOON->Be in the water and at about 30 feet at least 15 minutes before the Official sunset time....Being near some Coral heads is cool as you will see the Ostracods twinkling before they come out to connect in strands of light->Relax and wait with LIGHTS OUT....DO NOT LIGHT ANY LIGHTS UNTIL THE SHOW IS OVER->Enjoy the Ostracods Light Show which lasts at least 15-20 min-> Leave or go explore while still enjoying the straggler Ostracods.

TIP: Designate ONE Diver as the “Lamp Lighter”....This is the Diver who will be the one to call the Dive and Turn on the first Dive light once the Ostracods have finished their “Session”...All other divers need to agree NOT to turn on their lights unless there is an emergency. If you have someone in your group who is uneasy with being in the dark have them buddy up and hold hands with someone who can keep them calm until their eyes adjust to the darkness as it gradually comes into play.

Check the OFFICIAL time of Sunset 3 - 5 days AFTER FULL MOON->Be in the water and at about 30 feet at least 15 minutes before the Official sunset time....Being near some Coral heads is cool as you will see the Ostracods twinkling before they come out to connect in strands of light->Relax and wait with LIGHTS OUT....DO NOT LIGHT ANY LIGHTS UNTIL THE SHOW IS OVER->Enjoy the Ostracods Light Show which lasts at least 15-20 min-> Leave or go explore while still enjoying the straggler Ostracods.

TIP: Designate ONE Diver as the “Lamp Lighter”....This is the Diver who will be the one to call the Dive and Turn on the first Dive light once the Ostracods have finished their “Session”...All other divers need to agree NOT to turn on their lights unless there is an emergency. If you have someone in your group who is uneasy with being in the dark have them buddy up and hold hands with someone who can keep them calm until their eyes adjust to the darkness as it gradually comes into play.
Actually, since the show typically doesn't start until about 45 minutes after sunset, entering 15 mins before sunset is probably too early. 15 mins after sunset is better, and there will still be some light.

I'm going to Bonaire June 1st for 12 days. I've been doing some reading today about the Ostracods night dive and from what I understand for them to put on a show it just needs to be really dark. For example days when the moon sets before the sun. June 4th moonset will be at 8:20 pm and sunset will be at 8:38 pm. Ideal time to dive would be 8:30. So basically just a starry night with no moon and an early enough moonset for my old butt. Moonsets then are increasing about an hour later each evening after that. Am I understanding this event correctly? Because from what I'm understanding is that lunar phase has nothing to do with it really, it just needs to be really dark.

Jason

I'm going to Bonaire June 1st for 12 days. I've been doing some reading today about the Ostracods night dive and from what I understand for them to put on a show it just needs to be really dark. For example days when the moon sets before the sun. June 4th moonset will be at 8:20 pm and sunset will be at 8:38 pm. Ideal time to dive would be 8:30. So basically just a starry night with no moon and an early enough moonset for my old butt. Moonsets then are increasing about an hour later each evening after that. Am I understanding this event correctly? Because from what I'm understanding is that lunar phase has nothing to do with it really, it just needs to be really dark.

Jason
Not sure where you are getting your times. They don't match my info.
Sunrise and sunset times in Kralendijk, June 2019
Be sure your "sunset" times are when the sun just disappears below the horizon....in Bonaire. It takes about 45-50 mins after that to get really dark....you have to pass through the various stages of twilight...about 23 mins to get from sunset to the end of civil twilight, another 27 minutes to get to the end of nautical twilight, and another 28 minutes to get to the end of astronomical twilight.
Sunset is 1854-1857 during June 1-12. So the earliest it is worthwhile to look for ostracods is about 45-50 mins after that, or 1941-1944. If the moon is up, it is inhibiting...so June 1-2-3 are your best days, maybe June 4.
Shore lights don't help either, but I have regularly seen ostracods near Buddy Dive/Sand Dollar, in the darker area between the two resorts. And, of course, Pink Beach or Jeff Davis or The Lake, etc, are great.
Diving at 2030 is too late....the ostracod display begins to quiet down after about 30 minutes.
I'd try and be in the water, positioned, by 1930, and plan to get out around 2030, on June 1-2-3.

Not sure where you are getting your times. They don't match my info.
Sunrise and sunset times in Kralendijk, June 2019
Be sure your "sunset" times are when the sun just disappears below the horizon....in Bonaire. It takes about 45-50 mins after that to get really dark....you have to pass through the various stages of twilight...about 23 mins to get from sunset to the end of civil twilight, another 27 minutes to get to the end of nautical twilight, and another 28 minutes to get to the end of astronomical twilight.
Sunset is 1854-1857 during June 1-12. So the earliest it is worthwhile to look for ostracods is about 45-50 mins after that, or 1941-1944. If the moon is up, it is inhibiting...so June 1-2-3 are your best days, maybe June 4.
Shore lights don't help either, but I have regularly seen ostracods near Buddy Dive/Sand Dollar, in the darker area between the two resorts. And, of course, Pink Beach or Jeff Davis or The Lake, etc, are great.
Diving at 2030 is too late....the ostracod display begins to quiet down after about 30 minutes.
I'd try and be in the water, positioned, by 1930, and plan to get out around 2030, on June 1-2-3.

Thank you so much. Lol I was looking at Bonaire, Georgia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom