Ostracods - best place to see?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A bunch of old Bonaire fans here. :)
WItches Hut was renamed Webers Joy several years back. I still call it Witches Hut but it's marked and on most maps as Webers Joy.

Another vote for Witches Hut. The show was spectacular at the end of November at 8-10m. We entered water about 15 mins after charted sunset and the show was 20-25 mins later. Be sure to turn down the backlight on you computer. I placed a tank marker on a rock stack as a “lighthouse” to get back to the beach. I believe there are some underwater navigation landmarks here but once on the surface the shoreline is very rocky, dark and has few landmarks that i would have recognized in the dark under spotlight.
Thanks for that light- I believe we were there on the same night and your marker light was really helpful! I think we will always plan our Bonaire trips from now on to coincide with this otherworldly event.

Saw them last year in July. One of the dive instructors at Den Laman's Dive Friends Bonaire recommended Margate Bay on the southern side of the island. We did a quick, 15-minute scouting dive while it was light out to find the spot we wanted to hover over. Margate Bay is great because there are really tiny patches of sand that stand out, so you can easily see them and keep your position without a light.

We got in the water for the Ostracod dive as the light was going out so that we could start the dive without a light. That made it so much easier for our eyes to adjust to not having one. Found our spot and hovered at about 40 feet. After about 15 minutes, the show started; it's like little fireworks going off all over the place. After the show was over, we turned our lights on for the first time, and made our way back to shore. Saw a gigantic Caribbean Spiny Lobster and a stingray on the way back.

Still is my favorite dive of the few that I have done.

DH, a friend and I did our Ostracod dive off of Thousand Steps. It was dark, calm water and VERY easy entry/exit..(Yes...the steps...I know...:confused:)...but still was an AWESOME Dive..one to remember... Definitely get into the water at least 10 minuets before the official DUSK time. Hunker in ...Lights off...and wait for the show.....Enjoy the fireworks...and then ...the lights gradually go out and the dive is done....

DH, a friend and I did our Ostracod dive off of Thousand Steps. It was dark, calm water and VERY easy entry/exit..(Yes...the steps...I know...:confused:)...but still was an AWESOME Dive..one to remember... Definitely get into the water at least 10 minuets before the official DUSK time. Hunker in ...Lights off...and wait for the show.....Enjoy the fireworks...and then ...the lights gradually go out and the dive is done....
What time do you mean by dusk?

When I was working in Bonaire I did my Ostracod night dives in front of the Plaza resort. Nice close to town, and enough shore lights to easily navigate back to.,
It is indeed a lights out dive, best 5th night after full moon, starts 45 min after sunset and lasts about 15 min.

I'm normally not a fan of night dives (it's work and nobody likes working overtime! :wink:) but loved the Ostracod dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom