Oronogo closing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k ellis

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Well guys I was in for a shock this time around. I discovered that Captain John had a heart condition arise and was highly concerned about his safety. Following the fact that good news came out of it and that he was cleared to go diving. I then discovered to my dismay that one of the most unique dive spots in this region is shutting its doors thanks in part to a large concentration of lead in the area.

Captain Johns (Captain Johns | Oronogo, MO) has provided myself and so many other divers with such fond memories as it is an easy dive spot with no boat traffic and underwater attractions including automobiles and an airplane among many other things that amaze people when they see it.

It is a sad day that I can honestly say the park will trully be missed by myself and many other divers.

Thanks Oronogo for the dry suit certification as well as the Advanced Open water diver certification I received there!

This is sad news I have been looking forward to going their all winter long and have been by from time to time looking in and seeing people working around the place. Do you know when it will close for good or if they will let in private diving to take place?

Oronogo is already closed & the 210 ft deep lake is to be filled in with dirt. We are going down this weekend to retrive a platform.

It will cost a small fortune to fill a 200ft hole.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Yep..but the EPA says it has to be done because the lake water is leaking into the drinking water. They will use dirt & rock from across the street from the lake & road projects. I will really miss diving there. John & his wife are great people... they will be missed.... I have been diving there for many years & is only a 2 1/2 hours drive one way for me to get there but now I will need to drive 5 to 6 hours one way to get to go diving.

Hammer I take it all of the action I have been seeing is the owners getting ready to move on? I don't understand the spa at all we can blow up a ship that may or may have no fuel on it just so it won't hit other ships, the water supply and cleaning in the US is the best in world, but a small hole in the middle of know were is something to worry about? Sorry just a small bitch of mine about the epa. I understand lead is or can be a problem. So anyway the fact is Oronogo is closing my question is could a bunch of divers get one last farewell dive in before the end to take photos of what the park was like and say good buy Or is it really to late? I know about five people right now that are willing.

Thanks dweller, I have sent word out that if anyone wants a final dive to come if and when it happens!

I will be at oronogo Saturday I will ask John and Regina if they would let us all in for one more dive.

Back
Top Bottom