Oriskany Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeepbrew

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well I dove the Mighty O about two weeks ago, and I still haven't posted a trip report. I uploaded a 6 minute video to the web and I will post the link here. Check it out if you get bored.

Video: http://www.filefactory.com/file/a85e47/

Warning - the file is 277 MB, so you probably don't want to give that a shot w/o broadband...

Dive Report - Aug 25, 2007:

First off, we dove with Gary's Gulf Divers out of Orange Beach, AL, and I must give props to Gary - he runs a great outfit. Everyone was very polite and professional, and the boat was very nice and clean.

As soon as we were within a few miles of the Oriskany you could see all of the dive boats tied up to her. There were 8 other boats there that day. Initial reports were that the wreck was absolutely covered in jellyfish. Well, it was! The damn things were everywhere. There were so many that you could not see through them. This really sucked for me, b/c I was the only dumbass out there without a wetsuit. So, we sucked it up and headed in.

Dive #1:

We dove using my steel 130s filled with EAN 29. This was a multi-level dive, planned with tables, and dove using the ATOM. On the first dive, my g/f (divinjen on this board) and I decided we were going to make it to the flight deck. We made our way to the deck (in a hurry - to get away from the jellyfish), reaching a max depth of 136 ft. It was cool to make it down there, but there wasn't a whole heck of a lot to see there. There were, however, no jellyfish. We then made our way back up and circled the conning tower a few times. We saw a few nice sized baracuda and a ton of jellyfish on the tower. Unfortunately, b/c of our max depth, this was a short dive and we headed back up for our lenghty safety stop right in the middle of the pack of jellyfish. They were as thick as could be between the depths of 5 ft and 40 ft. They were so thick they blocked the sunlight for the most part. I probably got stung 200 times or more on that dive.

Total dive time: 39 minutes
Max depth: 136 ft
Avg depth: 70.58 ft
Surface Temp: 92 degrees
Bottom Temp (136-137 ft): 77 degrees
Temp @ 60-65 ft (where majority of dive took place): 82 degrees

Viz was b/w 60-75 ft when we were below the jellyfish, 10-12 inches when we were in the middle of them.

Dive #2:

Great news for us - the jellyfish had moved on! This time there were a few JF around, but there were spread out enough that I could dodge most of them. I think I only got stung about 5 times that dive. This time we didn't go quite as deep, but we did make it down to the control room. (As you can see if you download the video). We saw quite a bit more sea life this dive... probably b/c we weren't constantly getting stung! This was truly an amazing dive. One of my all-time favorites.

Total dive time: 48 minutes
Max depth: 95 ft
Avg depth: 61.07 ft
Surface Temp: 92 degrees
Bottom Temp: 82 degrees

Viz was 75-100+ feet! It was like being in the Bahamas!

Pics to follow shortly...

BTW, I have a total bottom time of 73 hrs 54 minutes this year!! - all in the ocean, not the pelham keys this yr!

My dumbass w/o a wetsuit:

oriskany009gb9.jpg

oriskany013jv7.jpg

oriskany025ct7.jpg

oriskany031kh1.jpg

oriskany039jz1.jpg

oriskany040rd8.jpg

oriskany062pk5.jpg

oriskany067kc8.jpg

Check out these bad boys:
oriskany089rg6.jpg

oriskany134zc1.jpg

oriskany158jp2.jpg

oriskany162te4.jpg

oriskany184ou6.jpg

Thanks for the report and great pictures! I was supposed to dive the Oriskany this past weekend, but the sea was too rough, so all trips were cancelled. Instead we dove the jetties in Pensacola Bay on Saturday, and then the Russian Freighter and Tex Edwards Barge on Sunday. Hopefully next time I go down there, the weather will be a little more cooperative.

Thanks for the report and great pictures! I was supposed to dive the Oriskany this past weekend, but the sea was too rough, so all trips were cancelled. Instead we dove the jetties in Pensacola Bay on Saturday, and then the Russian Freighter and Tex Edwards Barge on Sunday. Hopefully next time I go down there, the weather will be a little more cooperative.
Check out this thread. There are so many of us going they have arranged another boat. AuTgrDvr from Bham and myself are going. Maybe you could as well.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=198366

Every trip that I have heard about going out on the Oriskany in the past 6 weeks has reported the shallow waters above the wreck to be covered with jelly fish. Apparently the currents line up in that area in such a way that at certain times, they tend to congregate right there. When I dove the wreck in May, all I saw between 40' and the surface were spiral anemone and a few fish. From your pictures I see that the wreck marine life haven't changed much, although I did see a few Grey Angels and there was an octopus living in about an 8 inch pipe extending from the side of the wreck at about 90 or 100 feet. I may dive the wreck again next month when I am in Florida to start me cave training.

Regards,

Jim

The jellyfish are seasonal, May's not a big month to worry about the jellies, late summer - youch!

I figured that's what it was. I always dive with a 3/2 even in warm water just for protection. I will dive the O early in the season anyway.

I was on the O yesterday and they were MUCH better. They are the little ones that really smart when they get ya. I didn't get a single sting yesterday. Hopefully they are moving out. Come down and see us!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom