Oriskany Trip 4/28 Saturday

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I met three divers from Tampa (Depth Perception? I think), and Rick from Daphne at Gary's Gulf Divers in Orange Beach. This was my first trip on Gary's boat Cat-n-around, a wonderful dive boat. We left the dock around 8:00 and beat most of the traffic to the Oriskany.

The gulf was prettier than I have seen it in ages. The ride out on the Cat-n-around was smooth as a baby's butt (as we like to say round here). I have been on cats before but Gary's is set up to make your trip as enjoyable as the dive. It is a six pack which allows everybody plenty of room. The boat stays at Sportsman and is a very quick walk down the dock.

I've been down on the Oriskany several times but not since last August. The additional growth on the ship is remarkable. The colors are really setting in. We also noticed about a million aerocrabs (spelling might not be right). Last year I noticed tons of blue claw crabs, this year Aerocrabs. We saw huge barracuda, with scary overbites in need of braces. The vis was better than I have seen it since I dove it July 4th weekend last year. 75' vis on the first dive. There was zero current. Gary threw out a bouy line with a ball on it, just incase and it sat right beside the boat, in a pile never moving. There were several boats out there but everybody watched each other and our group waited until the larger boats got their folks out and then we did our second dive. Gary orchestated the dive like a symphony. The first dive the six of us were basically alone. The second dive we had no issues with a crowd.

If you dove her last year, you really should go again. The fish have also multiplied. I saw AJ's and a rather large group but he was very shy and stay down deep, not wanting to play. There were actually a few spearfisherman on it and I was jealous because I left my gun behind. I also left my camera behind but as you all know I am picture-posting challenged and can't figure out how to post pictures here anyway. I still have beautiful pictures from Belize that no one has been able to enjoy.

I can not say enough about Gary and his Divemaster Brian. They go above and beyond to make sure that your experience is totally comfortable. From the first minute you get on the boat until you get back to the dock, they take care of everything. Gary and Brian also feed us on the way back. Best hotdog I've ever had! All the way around it was wonderful. From the conversation and joking on the way out, to the hotdogs on the way back, it was a great trip.

Okay here is the kicker, hush, don't tell anyone, but I've loved Gary's Gulf Diver shop for a long time but I've been diving with other boats. I may have a new favorite boat.

What a great trip! Please come see us in South Alabama, you'll love the experience... Ya'll come on down! We'll fix ya a sweet tea and tell ya crazy fish stories.:)

Great Report Dona, and thanks for the kind words we had a GREAT group of Divers that makes our job easy.

BTW, Your check is in the mail for such a good report :rofl3:

Definately heading back out to the Oriskany some time this year - me thinks it should be tradition :)

Great report. I gotta find a way to get down there. If I had my AOW, I'd head down there in the next few weeks. My wife cleared me to be able to do a few dives before Tanner gets here. (I think I'm catching up on my honey does. :)

I know I will need to come dive the big O sometime soon. I want to get my AOW and nitrox and be ready for it. :wink:

Michael

Great report. I haven't had the pleasure to dive with Gary yet. One day though, one day! :D

I was there Saturday. Did you see the scooters on the flight deck? We dove with Down Under with a group of tekkies. Great dives and the ride out and back couldn't have been better.

As soon as I get a few more dives under my belt, I'm booking a trip this summer with Gary for sure.

Gary's crew did see the scooters. While I was at the flight deck two came right past me. Gary has some in his shop also. We had a lot of discussion about them during our surface interval.

Back
Top Bottom