Oriskany Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PLEASE NOTE that YKnot? is not booking out of Dive Pros anymore. The booking contact information is on the website, though!

I dove the O with Capt Dave on the Y-Not and SB's own Oriskany Divemaster. Nicest, most professional people you'll ever meet. Hire Eric(Orskany Divemaster) especially since many of you haven't dove deep, he knows all the little spots and has a good strategy for the wreck(gonna have to start kickin me some commissions with all this good I keep talkin about ya, Eric! :wink: ). The Y-Not leaves EARLY in the morning, and as many have stated, is the fastest boat out there. That means that you can be back before lunch and either do an afternoon dive, or whatever, whereas with the cattle boats your whole day is pretty much taken up. That pretty much sold it for me, I'm all about maximizing vacation time! Boat trips are nice, but there are other things I'd rather be doing, like gearing up for another dive, hitting the beach, or having some of that seared tuna at Flounder's(not to be missed). Enjoy your trip!

MY 500 PSI

I just got back and dove with both scuba shack and MBT.

Scuba shack had the following in the plus column.
1. Air fills on site
2. Membrane Nitrox on site (No O2 clean tanks)
3. Close parking
4. Great staff
5. DVD for purchase
6. Onsite Dive shop
7. Safety concious but not overbearing
8. Hand cranked Ice cream
9. Roomy boat plenty of seating etc..
10 Gear/rinse storage facilities

Things that could be improved.
1. 2 1/2 hour boat ride
2. Nitrox a little pricey @ $14 a fill (for hp 120 @ 32%)
3. 3 tank trips 3rd tank somewhere shallow if possible.

Now for H2O Below/MBT

1. Close parking
2. Great staff
3. Safety concious but not overbearing
4. Fruit during Surface interval
5. Shorter ride (Approx 1 1/2 hours)

Things that could be improved
1. Onsite Air fills
2. Onsite Nitrox Membrane Fills (MBT Requires O2 clean)
3. Dive shop closer
4. Gear/rinse storage facilities.

Just my opinions. They where both great charters and I wouldn't hesitate to go out with either one again. I would probably do it the same way we just did. Go with Scuba Shack the first day and MBT the second. So at the end of the first day we could get fills for the next day.

Don't forget tanks and weights are not included so you will need to bring or rent them.

Hi seadoggirl,

Thanks for asking. The USS Oriskany Specialty is both a PADI and a NAUI approved specialty course. It fits into the dive progression for both agencies and is a great, 2 dive specialty course. We cover some of the history of the ship, some wreck navigation and deep dive considerations for the open ocean environment. Both dives are supervised by an instructor or divemaster and focus on taking full advantage of the multilevel capabilities of this site. We visit several of the key structural/historical features of the ship and have a really great time. The cost of the specialty includes the boat trip, the specialty C card and the instruction, as well as the divemaster/instructor supervision on both dives. Drop me a note or reply for more info, or to reserve a spot. i would love to have you on the boat.

Dr Dive
www.drdive.com
drdive@drdive.com

Is this the same USS Oriskany PADI Specialty course that Jim at MBT wrote and has a copywrite on? I have heard that his is an excellent course. Several of his Dive Masters have completed the course and its really informative when I've been on the boat with any of them. I've dove the Oriskany 37 times now and still learn something every time. Thanks for the information.

Dr Dive:
Hi seadoggirl,

Thanks for asking. The USS Oriskany Specialty is both a PADI and a NAUI approved specialty course. It fits into the dive progression for both agencies and is a great, 2 dive specialty course. We cover some of the history of the ship, some wreck navigation and deep dive considerations for the open ocean environment. Both dives are supervised by an instructor or divemaster and focus on taking full advantage of the multilevel capabilities of this site. We visit several of the key structural/historical features of the ship and have a really great time. The cost of the specialty includes the boat trip, the specialty C card and the instruction, as well as the divemaster/instructor supervision on both dives. Drop me a note or reply for more info, or to reserve a spot. i would love to have you on the boat.

Dr Dive
www.drdive.com
drdive@drdive.com

I’m really confused on this would you mind clarifying it some for me? This Oriskany diver specialty course you offer which you are the only instructor world wide authorized by Padi to teach if I was to take this course from you and walked into another Padi shop to take my Dive Masters would they recognize this as a specialty required by Padi to continue my dive training? Or would this just fall under wreck or deep diving?

I looked under the Padi site and could find no information on it

Please don’t try and read nothing between the lines I’m just curious about the card your offering
How about some information on your services Do you allow spear fishing aboard? Do you serve Hot dogs on the big O trip :D

I'm not trying to high-jack the thread just asking questions of the charter that offered his service

Seadoggirl and Tom,

Thanks all for the inquiries. I'll try to condense a reply to several posts in one reply.

This is not Jim Phillips' course. He has his own and I understand it is excellent. This is a PADI and NAUI approved course, so it does fit into the training progression and would be recognized as a valid specialty counting toward higher levels of certification. PADI does not publish info on distinctive specialties on their website, but it does not make it less a PADI Specialty.

Please visit the website for more info on the services. www.drdive.com We try to offer a good service and value for the dollar and hope folks will give us a try.

No, we don't serve hot dogs. We do get you back to the dock in time for lunch, though.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Capt. Jim

Has anyone dove with Viking divers???
Any report would be great

thanks

I believe frank420 has, send him a PM?

Back
Top Bottom