Oriskany Dive 6/14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockyTop

Registered
Reaction score
Got to dive the Oriskany again on 6/14. It had been a couple of years since my last dive there. It just seems the dive never gets old.

I used a gopro camera for the first time as well. Didn't get a chance to pickup the dive housing before the trip so had to use the original housing.

I posted a few minutes of my descent down to 120 feet.

Descending to the Oriskany - YouTube

was that the typical viz for it?

40-100ft. Seems like it's always better in the late Fall, but we've had good viz all year so far.

I agree with Rocky. The first time I dove the Oriskany, I was a bit underwhelmed and disappointed that it didn't live up to the hype. But every time I dive it I see something new and interesting. I did maybe 8 dives on it before noticing that you can still see the number on the side of the tower just forward of the flight bridge. I love the Oriskany more each time I dive it.

was that the typical viz for it?
Viz is generally much better. There was a big storm that hit Pensacola just a few days before. It dropped record amounts of rainfall and the high winds really fouled up the viz. I have had 100ft viz there before and that was what they had been seeing before the storm.

Thnx for sharing

Shame it so deep... Sell it as a Boone to the local economy and sink it deeper than most divers comfort zone.

Let's sink the next one such that the tower starts at 30...

...And thanks for sharing!

Reactions: jbm
Shame it so deep... Sell it as a Boone to the local economy and sink it deeper than most divers comfort zone.

They had to sink it deeper due to hazards to the other vessels. It did settle deeper than expected, but how can you really manage every variable that goes into sinking such a massive vessel?

I've dove we twice and she's beautiful.

It seems to happen alot. They first start off that it will be good for diving and even snorkeling(Not the oriskany). I guess they say that to appease everybody.

What's the depth at the top of the stack?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom