Oriskany - Back to Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
<sigh>Yet another delay...

Area port not equipped to moor carrier safely during hurricane season

May 4, 2005
Brett Norman@PensacolaNewsJournal.com

The retired aircraft carrier Oriskany, destined for the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico south of Pensacola, is about to embark on a lengthy detour.

Again.

Navy officials announced Tuesday that the rusty hulk will be towed later this month to the Maritime Administration Beaumont Texas Reserve Fleet Facility, where it will weather the upcoming hurricane season.

Safely mooring the 888-foot "Mighty O" at the Port of Pensacola would be costly, and preparations could not be completed by June 1, the beginning of the hurricane season, said Pat Dolan, deputy director of the Navy Sea System Command's office of congressional and public affairs.

The Oriskany will remain in Texas until at least January, when the Environmental Protection Agency is expected to complete a long-delayed model of how the Oriskany's remaining polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs, will affect the environment.

The relocation is the latest in a long string of delays in making the Oriskany the first Naval vessel and largest ship to be sunk intentionally as an artificial reef.

The news drew frustration from Pensacola Bay Area officials Tuesday.

"It's a huge disappointment, not only to the community, but to me," said U.S. Rep. Jeff Miller, R-Chumuckla. "It's ridiculous that it should take this long. "¦ The EPA has exhibited, once again, that it puts up an unacceptable amount of red tape."

Miller, who contacted EPA Administrator Steve Johnson's office on Tuesday, said "It's time to get an answer from the top."

Port of Pensacola Interim Director Leon Walker said the port will miss the monthly $90,000 docking fees the Navy has paid since the Oriskany's arrival in December.

"We were planning on having that revenue through (September)," said Walker, adding that he would meet with city officials this week to gauge the financial impact.

Outfitting the port with a mooring that would be rated for a Category 3 hurricane, as recommended by the U.S. Coast Guard, would cost about $6 million and could not be completed this month, Dolan said.

Dolan estimates the round-trip trek to Beaumont, which is equipped with a hurricane mooring, will cost about $1.8 million.

The Navy has spent $12.3 million on the Oriskany reefing project so far, including environmental assessments, PCB remediation, towing and berthing, Dolan said. To dismantle and scrap the ship would cost an estimated $24 million.

"We want to make sure we do the first one right," Dolan said. "Hopefully, once we develop this model it will allow us to utilize it, of course much more quickly, on other ships in the future."

She said the Navy remains "absolutely committed" to sinking the Oriskany as an artificial reef off Pensacola.

Navy officials had planned to scuttle the vessel last August, but environmental issues kept the ship docked in Corpus Christi, Texas, where it was undergoing PCB remediation.

The latest delay will have economic consequences beyond the revenue lost to the Port of Pensacola. A study by Florida State University showed the annual benefits of artificial reefs to Escambia County could be as high as $92 million.

"This community needs a boost, and Oriskany could be that boost," said Eilene Beard, co-owner of the Scuba Shack and "Wet Dream" charter boat.

Beard was an early proponent for bringing the decommissioned vessel to Pensacola. She said her diving class registrations have been up this year, driven by anticipation of the new reef. The delay is a disappointment, but not a surprise, she said.

"I guess that's about par for the course, right?" she said. "I believe that's about the fifth broken promise. "¦ We'll get it here, but we just have to go through the process, and it's pretty painful."

Retired Vice Adm. Jack Fetterman, who was instrumental in luring the Oriskany to Pensacola, said he was frustrated by the repeated delays in the EPA approval process.

"Every day we don't get it sunk, we lose out on the benefit we would have with it," he said.

Keeping the ship afloat is not cheap, either.

They will end up dropping it on it's side or upside down anyhow, it's how things are done :)

Perfect.

Now I just need to bide my time until this big boat is crossing just South of Orange Beach, AL; jump aboard and pull the plug. She's planned to be sunk pretty close to me, but whats the harm of her being sunk just a bit closer :wink:

It would not be the first ship to have a "oppsies" that was meant to be sunk. There are a couple that where slated to be fish attractions at 300+ feet and were scuttled by accident at 100 ~ 120' opps ....

CBulla:
Wouldn't that be something if it sinks enroute!
It would save millions of dollars. I'm sure lots of folks are seriously considering a wee bit 'o sabotage.

It could get interesting with Hurricane Rita. I hope they have it secured with some strong cables.

If this morning's forecast is accurate, the O boat could become the new permanent decoration in downtown Port Arthur.
Rick

Imagine how light that thing is with all of the guts removed!!!
Think about it - an aircraft carrier that could actually fly!!

Scary, indeed.

the K

I had the same thought. It was moved because Beaumont has a hurricane mooring. We may get to find out just how good that mooring is. I hope not.

TwoBit

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom