orion weight modification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watchoutheyspit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just had the opportunity to dive with my new Triple-L orion BC (size M). Since the medium has no back weight pockets and I was not anxious to fall face forward, I decided to implement/adjust the BC to prevent that from happening (as much as I thought possible). My idea was to make 2 capped off PVC containers to hold 4lbs of lead shot. The PVC was attached to either side of the tank area via sewn velcro straps.
As for the effectiveness of the design, when at the surface with water at chin level, there appeared to be no difference than using my SeaQuest ProQD. Of course, over-inflating the BC resulted in the face down posture...but that was really overinflating it.

I just got my Orion in June. Anticipate the BC may be lifted up as mentioned by many in forum, so I DIY my own crotch-strap (2" y-strap with 3 side clips and it's length is adjustable).

My experience with vs without my DIY crotchstrap :
1) Crotchstrap :
- It was a good fit and the BC did not shift as anticipated, but removal was really troublesome on water surface before boarding the boat after dive.
- On sea surface, I could not maintain lie-on-back pose and I had to constantly lie-back-and-kick to maintain.
- I used the strap continuosly for 4 dives in the 1st two days.
- dumping of air to descend somewhat difficult even remove inflator from the velcro strap.

2) without crotchstrap
- On the 3rd day, by chance I forgot to clip on the strap, and I felt more comfortable without the crotchstrap during the dive and it did not shift a lot also.
- on the water surface, I could easily lie-on-back without constant kicking.
- dumping of air and descend seemed easier (not sure if related).
- lastly, no butt-floss.

Cheers

I just got my Orion (Medium size also) in June. Anticipate the BC may be lifted up as mentioned by many in forum, so I DIY my own crotch-strap (2" y-strap with 3 side clips and it's length is adjustable).

My experience with vs without my DIY crotchstrap :
1) Crotchstrap :
- It was a good fit and the BC did not shift as anticipated, but removal was really troublesome on water surface before boarding the boat after dive.
- On sea surface, I could not maintain lie-on-back pose and I had to constantly lie-back-and-kick to maintain.
- I used the strap continuosly for 4 dives in the 1st two days.
- dumping of air to descend somewhat difficult even remove inflator from the velcro strap.

2) without crotchstrap
- On the 3rd day, by chance I forgot to clip on the strap, and I felt more comfortable without the crotchstrap during the dive and it did not shift a lot also.
- on the water surface, I could easily lie-on-back without constant kicking.
- dumping of air and descend seemed easier (not sure if related).
- lastly, no butt-floss.

Weight-pocket
---------------
- Find them really akward, and difficult to fit 3 leads into one and subsequently even more difficult to slide into the BC , as I needed 5 leads to descend.

Cheers

That looks like a promising mod. I just got mine in March (med as well) and have done 9 dives in it. I used tie wraps to hang 2 3lb weights on the bottom tank strap for those dives, but found that it made rigging up difficult. Since I was a couple of pounds heavy, I purchased a couple of 2lb weights that I am going to attach to the back of the BC. I had planned to use tie wraps there as well, but may rethink it. It may be worth it to move weight to the back anyway.

m7scuba:
I purchased a couple of 2lb weights that I am going to attach to the back of the BC.
Doesn't look like that is going to work well. The weights stick out too much and would likely interfere with attaching the tank. Guess I'm off to get some PVC and lead shot...
Thanks for the post!

Just did my first dive with my modified Orion. I think that this mod is going to work out great! I've attached a couple of pictures of the bcd with a tank. Straight on you can barely see the pvc pipes filled with lead. From the angle shot you can see how the pipe fits nicely behind the tank. Mine are just about 12 inches long and each weighs a hair under 5 pounds. Thanks for the info!

Brian

Back
Top Bottom