Orientation of Environmental Seal on Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I worded that poorly. The shoulder straps "should" be loosened:), which I already did. I adjusted to the recommendation of the DGX instructional video which suggests being able to get a fist behind the webbing at the chest.

I changed the name of the thread so I didn't start a new one covering the same stuff. My first dive after certification was this past Friday at the Homestead Crater in Midway, UT. It's a 62' deep warm spring. I was using new gear (Deep6 Signature DIR reg set and Sub-gravity BP/W). Here's what I found:

-My shoulder straps were too tight. I think they can be loosened.
-SPG HP hose seems a bit short and the D-ring on my left hip was too far back making it hard to access. I may put an angle out of the HP port to give the SPG hose a bit more length
-Bungee cord reg necklace I made is too thin and very uncomfortable and digs into neck.
-Reg on necklace had a serious free flow when I hit the water on giant stride. Need to close off venturi until I hit the water.
-Weighting was not too bad, but trim needs to be moved to upper back plate. I'm too bottom heavy.
-It was a dark environment. Glad I had a light. Glad I had the Peregrine. So easy to see and much needed since I had no reference to gauge depth other then the computer. Didn't realize that the SPG dial is luminescent and I could have charged it up with the light instead of blinding myself trying to read it with the light.
-The first stage orientation issue already mentioned.
-I'm going to (or already have) fixed some of this stuff. I'm excited to get equipment stuff sorted out so I can work on skills...especially buoyancy.

That's it. Feel free to chime in, heckle, newbie-shame.
Shoulder straps are generally adjusted properly when you can get a fist under each strap in the exposure suit you are using. The latter part of that is key. If I tried diving dry and I adjusted it wearing a t-shirt, there will be problems.
The other way around works without adjusting going from thicker to thinner because I just snug the crotch strap up.
If you have mobility issues like I do with an old rotator cuff injury, a little looser on that one is acceptable. Just make sure the crotch strap is snug.
A 24 inch spg hose is considered standard. On a doubles rig. On a single the reg is not offset to one side so for many people a 26 works better. I would advise against trying to put an angled adapter on it. Just buy a new hose.
For larger people using a singles rig, a 30 inch was what they needed.
On your necklace reg,close the venturi and tighten the resistance knob. If you need to go to it, open both up then.
Just don't store the reg with the knob tightened.
Store both seconds all the way open. This takes unnecessary pressure off of the spring.

On a single the reg is not offset to one side so for many people a 26 works better.
Seems to me that not being offset would shorten the hose on a singles tank.

Okay. Following the great advice here, I made some changes. I moved my left hip belt D-ring about 3” forward. I essentially changed the position between it and the trim pocket. I changed LP port positions of the inflator hose and the long hose (bottom 5th port) to accommodate having the turret point down. I added trim pockets to each side of upper part of the backplate. Actually, they were already there, but I had them attached the wrong way (a pic on the SG website helped me figure it out). I also figured out (from another post on SB) how to make the inflator hose/corrugated hose work with the rubber keeper ring on my left shoulder; just pass the inflator hose through the ring so the corrugated hose can be lifted as the inflator passes through the ring. This solves a lot of fiddling around. I have a 5 mil wetsuit arriving today. I’ll adjust out the shoulder webbing on my harness after I get it in my hands.

EDIT: I also received an XS Scuba 7.5" reg necklace. Feels so much better around the neck.

Thanks to all of you for your willingness to share. I have no local mentor, so I have to lean heavily on ya’ll.

Once I get these little things sorted out, I think my next step is to really work on buoyancy and then go back and drill hard on my basic skills from OW.

No, because on a doubles rig the left cylinder/reg is closer to the left shoulder and the SPG comes off of that. With a single the cyclinder/reg is over your spine- farther away from the left side. Hence a longer HP hose works better for some.

You said, 5th port down, but didnt mention tilt. If you angle the reg, your hoses route nicer.

20230214_185914.jpg

@Jim Lapenta, my mistake, I was thinking of the short-hose regulator. Thanks for the elaboration.

You said, 5th port down, but didnt mention tilt. If you angle the reg, your hoses route nicer
No tilt. But I'll give it a shot. Thanks. And yes those are long hoses...I think. o_O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom