Oregon Dive Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Matthews

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just so everyone knows Oregon has a dive park in place at the the Jessie Honeyman Memoprial State Park in Florance. Its purpose is two fold; to provide a sheltered environment for training/novice divers and ease of access to the open ocean for all divers.

Has anyone got more info about this dive park? I'm camping there next week and am just trying to decide if it's worth bringing my gear.

I believe this site is what we refer to as the "North Jetty" : North Jetty Siuslaw River - Florence, Oregon | Pacific Northwest Scuba Diving
There is also a dive site near the South Jetty which is somewhat closer to Honeyman Park: Welcome to DonaldHeer.com
Personally, I like the South Jetty better as there's a couple of different habitats which make for a more interesting dive. TIn addition, tere's a freshwater dive park near Honeyman on Woahink Lake that has a lifesize white shark, sunken boats, etc. Good for a rinse dive. Hope this helps- pm me if you need more info...

Thanks very much for the info. I didn't end up bringing my gear on the trip. I guess I'll have to go back.
I can't believe the size of the waves along the coast down there! I've never been so grateful for Vancouver Island - it keeps our ocean access nice and calm.

Yeah, that's why we're usually stuck with estuary dives down here. On days when the ocean calms down, our offshore diving is spectacular, though. If you come this far south again, it might be worth a trip a couple hours down the road to Port Orford. There's a shore dive there that's comparable to what I've seen in Puget Sound.

I think you're talking about the little dive park at Wohink Lake. It's just east across the highway from Honeyman. They use I a lot of open water classes and I think they do an underwater pumpkin carve there around this time of year.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

The OP referred to access to the ocean, so I assumed that meant North Jetty. In any case, the Eugene Dive Club will be hosting underwater pumpkin carving next Saturday, the 14th at Woahink. New this year will be pumpkin spearing, for those interested in getting the basics of speargun handling and shooting. Look up the club on teh net, or pm me for specifics.

The LDS I dive with will be doing a pumpkin dive this month also. I am hoping to try it out for the first time this year. We will see, my wife just had spinal surgery on her neck yesterday so I might have to pass this time. Good luck on your festivities Furnari.

Back
Top Bottom