Oregon Coast Aquarium Diving Program

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Craig Baumann

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last April 2006, I completed a one year commitment as a maintenance dive volunteer with the Oregon Coast Aquarium. It was an interesting experience. The Oregon Coast Aquarium is an amazing organization that needs volunteer help on a regular basis in their diving program. They also have a program for non diving volunteers.

If anyone would like information on that program, you are welcome to ask me questions on this forum, or you should feel free to send me questions in private messages.

Best to you all....

Here are some people to contact regarding the diver program at the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport, Oregon. They would be happy to answer any questions you have about it. There is also a link on the main aquarium web page, www.aquarium.org that will lead you to some great information describing the program for you:

Vallorie Hodges - Dive Safety Officer (DSO) val.hodges@aquarium.org
Bob Carskadon - Diver / Coordinator / Volunteer bob.carskadon@aquarium.org
Sam Cangemi - Volunteer Coordinator sam.cangemi@aquarium.org

It's a lot of work being a dive volunteer for the Oregon Coast aquarium, but well worth the experience. Frankly spoken, the Oregon Coast Aquarium could not afford to keep it going without its volunteers, and the diver are a very important part of that organization. I would encourage any diver so inclined, to join this group of dedicated individuals; at least for the one-year volunteer period they are expected to commit.

Good luck!

PriusDrIVER:
I hadn't ever heard of this program, what type of tasks do they have you perform?
Quite a few of my dive buddies have been volunteers there. They do things like vacuum the exhibits, polish the acrylic, feed the critters, and remove anything that has died. Volunteers also help care for the health of the marine life.

If you want to just try out a dive there, DUI has been using the facility for their DOG days drysuit test dives.

Divers interested in the Oregon Coast Aquarium volunteer program have to go through a PADI Habitat Diver Distinctive Specialty course conducted at the aquarium in Newport. They also must qualify to take this course with prior cold water diving experience, and other certifications and documentation required. After going through the course, volunteer divers are placed into a rotation schedule for working one day every three weeks in maintenance diving teams. Average team sizes are about six in number.

Divers arrive at the aquarium around 7:30 am most days and diving begins around 8 am. There are three main exhibits that need diver support most, in an area called Passages of the Deep. There are several other exhibits that need regular diving throughout the rest of the aquarium. Divers perform many functions, including vacuuming the bottom, cleaning the acrylic tunnels visitors pass through, scraping calcium carbonate off the walls, wiping and scrubbing algae off displays and sometimes they are asked to hand feed the fish and anemone, or work with specific animals under the direction of the aquarists in charge of the exhibits.

I personally, drove to the aquarium from Portland in the morning, and back home each day after completing my dives. I seldom spent the night unless I was helping with a certification class or diving two days consecutively. From Portland, Newport is a 2 1/2 hour trip each way, if you don't stop... 3 hours if you take a break along the way. Many of the volunteers live closer to Newport, in Salem or Eugene, Oregon. I knew one who lived in Bend, Oregon however, even one who called her home Metlakatla, Alaska. The person I met from Bend, roated every six weeks, the diver from Alaska worked at the aquarium for one year while she lived in a fifth wheel, in Seal Rock.

Craig,

Thanks for the info. I will check more into this, it sounds like a good way to give back to the community and spend more time in the dry. As for the previous cold water diving experience, is there anything else in the PNW. I'm not sure I'd be interested in warm water at home, I get wet enough on vacations :wink:

-russel

Yes, of course... there's wonderful diving in the Pacific Northwest. The easiest way to enjoy the North Pacific wildlife - fishes, invertebrates and mammals, is to dive Puget Sound in areas around Olympia and Tacoma Washington, over to Hood Canal on the Olympic Peninsula and as far north as Seattle and Everett, WA. For more beautiful diving, you can visit sites in the San Juan Islands, or around Vancouver Island and along the Inland Passage up into British Columbia. I have a friend who lives in Alaska, and loves the diving up as far as the AK panhandle. For a "wilder ride," the Oregon and Washington coastlines hold great dive sites, however dive-charters for those Pacific Ocean areas are limited and weather can often be a limiting factor. Pacific Northwest bays, rivers and lakes, especially high mountain lakes are an interesting adventure.
All diving must be done within your skill level - some taking specific training or certifications to accomplish safely.

If you are not used to cold water diving, it's advised you work with a scuba diving professional or a local dive shop to learn how to protect yourself with the proper gear. Special techniques involving environmental suit protection have to be employed and cold water gear must be used. Thick wet suits or dry suits, BCs providing an adequate amount of lift and lots of other special gear has to be used - typically divers here wear between 25 and 40 pounds of weight to compensate for the additional gear and insulation layers of neoprene and air in dry suits - so it's a lot different than diving in warm water.

The water is colder here for sure, and the visibility isn't always as good as many tropical locations, but inch per inch the rock reefs are more diverse in terms of plant and animal life, then most coral reefs in warm water locations. In the Pacific Northwest we dive year round, in fact visibility is often better in the winter than in summer, when there's less sunlight and the days are shorter, and the plankton and algae are not in bloom.

Good luck! See you under water.

I've had several private messages asking questions about volunteering with the Oregon Coast Aquarium as a diver, so I decided to post this link for anyone interested:

http://www.aquarium.org/documents/VOLUNTEERDIVEPROGRAMPACKETPDF_002.pdf

I hope this is current, however if it is not, the Oregon Coast Aquarium should be able to steer people to the right spot. It pretty much spells out the requirements for working as a diver there.

For me personally, it would have been difficult to volunteer beyond the one year commitment period, but many people do it regularly and have for years. They still, need help badly. In the year I volunteered, I made 26 trips to and from the facility in Newport, Oregon, and from Portland that's 130 miles each way... I volunteered for 150 hours officially and at least that amount of time in driving. I stayed several times over night and always provided my own tanks with air fills, a total of between 40 and 60 dives (I'd have to get my log book out to see the exact count.)

It's worth the effort if you're strong enough to commit to it. Please feel free to continue to contact me if you have any questions.

diver_gent

One of our Seven Seas Scuba Dive Shop Instructors is currently volunteering. We're going to have her give us period updates as to her work there and what's new with the Aquarium which we'll make available on our shop Website. Super cool program. Thanks for posting Craig!

Say hello to Chris and Big John for me over there at Seven Seas, Dive Girl! I used to work with them when they were over at Thunder Reef Divers. I hope by now, many Portland / Vancouver divers have heard ,TRD is under new ownership.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=174712

Any more questions about the Oregon Coast Aquarium, don't hesitate to ask.

Best to you... diver_gent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom