Orcis island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjchandler

Contributor
Reaction score
Friends have invited us to join them on a trip to a place called orcis Island (sp?) next fall on the theory that we can dive while they visit friends of theirs. Is there a central location where both couples could stay and pursue their different interests?

Island Dive (http://www.divesanjuan.com) is in Friday Harbor on San Juan Island, which is fairly close. I was out with them last week, from Anacortes, and they made a stop on Orcas to pick up a couple of divers who joined our cruise. Shore diving the really good sites in the San Juans can be hard, mostly due to access to the sites.

They're very tech friendly, too, which is always a good thing.

Camerone:
Island Dive (http://www.divesanjuan.com) is in Friday Harbor on San Juan Island, which is fairly close. I was out with them last week, from Anacortes, and they made a stop on Orcas to pick up a couple of divers who joined our cruise. Shore diving the really good sites in the San Juans can be hard, mostly due to access to the sites.

They're very tech friendly, too, which is always a good thing.
If you deal with Island Dive, be advised to watch your receipts and check any credit card bills carefully. They double-charged me for a purchase ... I didn't notice it for a few months, and when I did and asked them to credit my card, they ignored me.

They also (on the same trip) ... (a) overfilled one of my LP cylinders to the point where it blew a burst disk, and (b) underfilled my HP cylinders to the point where I ended up cutting my dives short (2000 psi and 2,200 psi in tanks with a working pressure of 3,442).

To my concern, if this shop had any competition it would quickly go out of business. Unfortunately, it's the only place in the San Juan Islands to get fills ... which, BTW, include the most expensive Nitrox fills in the state.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As a partner in Island Dive and a new member to Scuba Board, I regret Bob that you had an unfortunate experience almost 3 years ago with us. I wasn't in the shop when your disk blew, but I heard about it and saw your tank being inspected internally and a new disk to be placed in your valve. As for the double charges, I have looked into this as it is mentioned over and over in your replies any time a mentiion of Island Dive is made. I will be happy to speak with you and correct your charges accordingly I was just made aware of this situation from reading history on this site. There is no excuse for bad manners, and I apologize for our staff's lack of professionalism during your visit. It must be pointed out however, you arrived in the shop on the first weekend we purchased the shop from Ron Kenny and had very little information on how things worked. It was also Memorial Weekend and there were several other charter boats in for fills, along with yours. There was no EANx fill station then. All were PP filled. That is no longer the case. We've learned and grown from those first months. Most new businesses do. Again, no excuses, it just is a fact that is overlooked in postings. In the past 3 years, we've learned from the mistakes and tried to correct them in our business, and in our staff. As Cameron can tell you, we have learned much about running a dive shop and charter boat. As for EANx fills, they are $10. This month, they are $5 with a charter. Our original pricing, 3 years ago, was based on the previous owners prices for which we had no reference to base on. That has dramatically changed. You continually state that "If there were another dive shop on the island, they'd be out of business ... ". That's a very spiteful comment and without merit. FYI, there have been 2 attempts from private parties to start dive shops in the islands. We loaned equipment, time, tanks and phones to them. No one has lasted. It's not important to have notice for helping, just wanted you to know that we aren't the ogre monopoly in the islands.

I would like to invite you back, just for the benefit of doubt, and see if you can forgive a bad day of business. I've had bad air and expensive fills and short fills from shops before, gear not fixed properly, special ordered items "overlooked" and such. Any diver in this sport long enough will have a similar experience with a dive shop. Some shops on several occasions. We are going to make mistakes. Every human I know does. Our business is striving to be the best we can and our customers, like Cameron, can attest we're doing okay. Everyone is entitled to a mistake as long as something good comes of it.

Again, I apologize for your experience. That I could undo it, I would. I just ask that you give us the opportunity to have you as our guest and see if you don't find our new facilities and services much improved from your last and most memorable visit.

Sincerely,
Dawn

Sounds like there might be a viable new option in the San Juans.

Sea ya!

Is there a central location where both couples could stay and pursue their different interests?

The town of Eastsound is centrally located on the island. You can find vacation rentals all over, any real estate company on the island can help.

Eastsound is about a 20 minute drive from the ferry.

I've done shore diving from the West Beach resort, and if you have a boat, you can cruise North to some great sites around Doughty Point. If your craft is solid enough, Sucia and Matia islands are just a skip North from Doughty. Fantastic diving, great crab and scallop harvesting in season.

I've been out with Island Divers twice, and had great experiences with them each time. I've met Dawn, a partner/owner and previous poster in this thread, and know her to be a top-notch divemaster and an upbeat, positive-minded person. When I had an issue with my newly-serviced regulator in the middle of a 4-tank charter, she personally took the time to repair it, saving the day. I wasn't charged for any repair.

Are you sending me an invoice, Dawn?:D

I'll dive again with Island Divers just as soon as I can. In my book, a positive mental attitude goes a long way.

Steve

Thank you Steve for the kind words. We are truly enjoying what we're doing. You are most welcome for the "quickie reg job". :wink: All in a days work. Besides, you came up to dive, not hang out on the boat with me! Hope the gear is still working good and we'll look forward to having you on island again soon.

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom