Question Orcatorch DC710 vs D710 for first dive flashlight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barry S.

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking around for my first dive light and the OrcaTorch's seem to be getting good reviews. I mainly dive in the Caribbean so likely don't need something massive (open to differing opinions).

Comparing the DC710 to the D710 - they are the same price and I initially thought the DC made more sense because I could just plug in and charge. Then I thought it through and see a lot of benefits of switchable batteries that I could separately charge. I typically do 3 x 1hr dives per day and, while I could just recharge at night, I like the ability to have a spare battery on the boat that could be swapped out.

And the most important part - I really like the blue one and the DC710 only comes in black. LOL.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I opted for the D710 only because the charging port becomes another location for water ingress and salt corrosion. The battery will last two to three dives easily before needing charged. I have two batteries because chit happens and I forget to charge a battery. Having a charged spare in the SDK save my butt more often than I like to admit.

I opted for the D710 only because the charging port becomes another location for water ingress and salt corrosion. The battery will last two to three dives easily before needing charged. I have two batteries because chit happens and I forget to charge a battery. Having a charged spare in the SDK save my butt more often than I like to admit.
Yea, I was thinking the same thing. Once I found out you could get the batteries with the USB charging port, that seemed like a better solution. Any recommendations on spare battery sources? I think the light only comes with 1 and Orca is charging $30 for a spare.

Yea, I was thinking the same thing. Once I found out you could get the batteries with the USB charging port, that seemed like a better solution. Any recommendations on spare battery sources? I think the light only comes with 1 and Orca is charging $30 for a spare.
I like the 710, I do not recommend the DC710, at least not yet, for the same reasons already mentioned. It is the 2nd most popular light I sell, perfect for recreational dives. I just sold a bunch to a local safety dive team, they've been very happy so far.

If you'd like to get an Orcatorch light I can save you some money. I can add another 21700 for ~ +$20 or so if that helps. The batteries are pretty good.

I have both, mostly carry the DC because I’m waiting to see if there is any issue with the charge port, so all good. The desire for blue should really lead you to the D710, the orca 21700 are really good, get you light and a spare battery from Rob.

Looking around for my first dive light and the OrcaTorch's seem to be getting good reviews. I mainly dive in the Caribbean so likely don't need something massive (open to differing opinions).

Comparing the DC710 to the D710 - they are the same price and I initially thought the DC made more sense because I could just plug in and charge. Then I thought it through and see a lot of benefits of switchable batteries that I could separately charge. I typically do 3 x 1hr dives per day and, while I could just recharge at night, I like the ability to have a spare battery on the boat that could be swapped out.

And the most important part - I really like the blue one and the DC710 only comes in black. LOL.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
I just bought an OrcaTorch D570. its 1000 lumens and it also has a green laser pointer. Do NOT worry I dont aim it at fishes eyes. only annoying dive buddies that run off or run low on air too early.

I like the 710, I do not recommend the DC710, at least not yet, for the same reasons already mentioned. It is the 2nd most popular light I sell, perfect for recreational dives. I just sold a bunch to a local safety dive team, they've been very happy so far.

If you'd like to get an Orcatorch light I can save you some money. I can add another 21700 for ~ +$20 or so if that helps. The batteries are pretty good.
Rob, since I have less than 5 posts, I can’t DM. Can you start the conversation?

The other recommendation that I have is to get a better charger than what OrcaTorch includes in the package. I have had issues with both that came with my lights. Not sure about the one with batteries with USB-C ports. My batteries don't have the ports. There are a couple good chargers out there, search SB and you will find threads with recommendations.

The other recommendation that I have is to get a better charger than what OrcaTorch includes in the package. I have had issues with both that came with my lights. Not sure about the one with batteries with USB-C ports. My batteries don't have the ports. There are a couple good chargers out there, search SB and you will find threads with recommendations.
Thanks. Since all of my diving requires travel, I like the idea of NOT having to carry a battery charger with me. Being able to plug in a USB from my laptop (or other charger I already have) is a big plus for me.

Thanks. Since all of my diving requires travel, I like the idea of NOT having to carry a battery charger with me. Being able to plug in a USB from my laptop (or other charger I already have) is a big plus for me.
Absolutely, everyone's mission is different. Sometimes I forget that, lol.

Go ahead and think about it and let me know what you'd like to do. I am placing an order either today or tomorrow so if you'd like to be on that one, otherwise it will be another week or 2 (same price though).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom