Orcatorch D710V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The D530V snoot will fit onto the D710V but it will not work because the snoot projects the shadow of the other 2 bulbs that are located inside the camera head/lens unfortunately FYI:
I think it may do better in the water but haven’t checked.

Update;

sadly my light failed on its first dive, the switch started getting wonky and eventually will no longer turn on so back it goes, I really like the light and this seems to be a circuit board problem in the head. Not sure if I’ll try another one since I have a few other lights to fill this role but I do like the battery.

Update;

sadly my light failed on its first dive, the switch started getting wonky and eventually will no longer turn on so back it goes, I really like the light and this seems to be a circuit board problem in the head. Not sure if I’ll try another one since I have a few other lights to fill this role but I do like the battery.
I will tag @OrcaTorch and @OrcaTorch-Amazon Seller - I don’t know if they are the same person. It will be interesting to see their response. Over the years I have bought myself and also been given for evaluation several dive lights. I have enjoyed a great luck on quality of these lights. There was only one light that was randomly shutting itself off during the dive. It was nitescuba light and Minos paid to have that light shipped back to a manufacturer for testing and replaced it with a new unit. (The shipping from US to China was $40+). I have been using a new one for over 2 years now without a hitch. It made me feel good - really as a ”tester” and not just a “reviewer” - hopefully, I contributed to a product improvement. It also speaks to them standing by the product.
I have two orca torch lights (one bought and one given for evaluation) and both are still performing well.
Thus, I am very interested to see if and how orcatorch will respond to you.
Please let us know if they will reach out to you.

I will tag @OrcaTorch and @OrcaTorch-Amazon Seller - I don’t know if they are the same person. It will be interesting to see their response. Over the years I have bought myself and also been given for evaluation several dive lights. I have enjoyed a great luck on quality of these lights. There was only one light that was randomly shutting itself off during the dive. It was nitescuba light and Minos paid to have that light shipped back to a manufacturer for testing and replaced it with a new unit. (The shipping from US to China was $40+). I have been using a new one for over 2 years now without a hitch. It made me feel good - really as a ”tester” and not just a “reviewer” - hopefully, I contributed to a product improvement. It also speaks to them standing by the product.
I have two orca torch lights (one bought and one given for evaluation) and both are still performing well.
Thus, I am very interested to see if and how orcatorch will respond to you.
Please let us know if they will reach out to you.
I bought it through Amazon but not through the good seller, I suspect this was a previously returned unit and some random reseller sold it.

im not going to try any warrantee stuff with it, just send it back for a refund.

I like the idea enough that I bought another 710v, very nice light, light weight not bulky and helps grab some nice pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_4114.jpeg
    IMG_4114.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4113.jpeg
    IMG_4113.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_4068.jpeg
    IMG_4068.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4133.jpeg
    IMG_4133.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4139.jpeg
    IMG_4139.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 61
I bought 2 of these lights and was not compensated. I received them yesterday and everything reported above is exactly the same with mine with one exception - my lights get HOT!! Here was my above water temperature findings done with an infrared thermometer and I have photos for each step as well:

Test #1 – both lights with fully charged batteries before being turned on at room temperature. 76.1-76.8° was the reading on both lights.

Test #2 - both lights have been turned on for 3 minutes. The first light was 110.8° and the second light was 119.7°.

Test #3 - both lights have now been turned on for 10 minutes. The first light was 131.7° and the second light was 118.4°.

Test #4 - I took a reading of the front of the top of flashlight #1 (the lens) at 10 minutes and it was over 150°!

The light coverage is great, even excellent for its size but surely this isn’t normal? I was barely able to turn off both lights without intensely burning my hands. I have sent the manufacturer an email with pictures but of course have not heard back yet. I plan to test again underwater in a sink and test again using only the UV setting.

Edit: Forgot to add that all readings were all taken at the same part of both lights (halfway up the body between the switch and the head itself).
Came across this while searching for info on the Orcatorch D710V to upgrade my GoPro video game. Thanks for posting this. Looking at getting a tray with two of the D710V lights and a Backscatter Flip 12 package.

So dive lights should only be used while in water as you observed with the temperatures recorded. I have a couple Kraken units and an Orcatorch D570-GL. The little ridges on the body of the light serve as heat sinks to help cool the unit, but they still need to be in water in order to manage the amount of heat the light generate. Even my 600 lumen Kraken gets quite warm.

Batteries don't care for cold but hate heat. Overheating batteries can have a drastic effect on their overall useful life going forward. There's also the risk of catastrophic failure that can result in fire.

LED lights can pull quite a bit of power which generates the heat. Even my little pocket Streamlight 66608 can get quite warm during extensive use, where holding it in my mouth becomes uncomfortable.

I'd be curious to see how hot the unit gets out of water when using the red light mode. For night diving this could be a good light to help preserve night adjusted vision while working on the surface. I look forward to seeing if there is any UV reactance at my local mud hole, in addition to being handy for hunting scorpions in my back yard or occasional household intruder when the wife brings home some new plants.

By the way, with the D570-GL, some of the fish will get very aggressive at the laser light. Many fish, both fresh and salt, I've seen will go after it like a cat. Fun to show new OW divers as it is something they never expect to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom