Orcatorch D710V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lexvil

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just bought this, hopefully it makes sense since I have two D710 dive lights, I like the battery, the 21700 which fits between the 18650 and the 26650 size wise. The light size is very compact.
IMG_8371.jpeg

IMG_8372.jpeg

IMG_8373.jpeg

the supplied battery is the easy for travel direct charge type, I’ve tested the battery this morning and got nearly 2 hours with no noticeable drop off in brightness. It may be a week of two before I get a chance to dive it

Were you provided refund compensation or a free light in exchange for this review?

I bought 2 of these lights and was not compensated. I received them yesterday and everything reported above is exactly the same with mine with one exception - my lights get HOT!! Here was my above water temperature findings done with an infrared thermometer and I have photos for each step as well:

Test #1 – both lights with fully charged batteries before being turned on at room temperature. 76.1-76.8° was the reading on both lights.

Test #2 - both lights have been turned on for 3 minutes. The first light was 110.8° and the second light was 119.7°.

Test #3 - both lights have now been turned on for 10 minutes. The first light was 131.7° and the second light was 118.4°.

Test #4 - I took a reading of the front of the top of flashlight #1 (the lens) at 10 minutes and it was over 150°!

The light coverage is great, even excellent for its size but surely this isn’t normal? I was barely able to turn off both lights without intensely burning my hands. I have sent the manufacturer an email with pictures but of course have not heard back yet. I plan to test again underwater in a sink and test again using only the UV setting.

Edit: Forgot to add that all readings were all taken at the same part of both lights (halfway up the body between the switch and the head itself).

I bought 2 of these lights and was not compensated. I received them yesterday and everything reported above is exactly the same with mine with one exception - my lights get HOT!! Here was my above water temperature findings done with an infrared thermometer and I have photos for each step as well:

Test #1 – both lights with fully charged batteries before being turned on at room temperature. 76.1-76.8° was the reading on both lights.

Test #2 - both lights have been turned on for 3 minutes. The first light was 110.8° and the second light was 119.7°.

Test #3 - both lights have now been turned on for 10 minutes. The first light was 131.7° and the second light was 118.4°.

Test #4 - I took a reading of the front of the top of flashlight #1 (the lens) at 10 minutes and it was over 150°!

The light coverage is great, even excellent for its size but surely this isn’t normal? I was barely able to turn off both lights without intensely burning my hands. I have sent the manufacturer an email with pictures but of course have not heard back yet. I plan to test again underwater in a sink and test again using only the UV setting.

Edit: Forgot to add that all readings were all taken at the same part of both lights (halfway up the body between the switch and the head itself).
This should be a great test for Orcatorch, I ran mine from fully charged to flashing red on the indicator (2 hr 45 min on high) mostly in water (85° pool) and they didn’t get above warm.

I don’t think it’s unusual for dive lights to get quite hot out of water - that’s not the environment they’re designed for.
I think your right - the underwater test results, in together in a standard SS kitchen sink full of water are:

Full sink of water (8” deep) was 80.1°.

Light 1 after 3 minutes was 87.4°.
Light 2 after 3 minutes was 85.5°.
Water temp was 80.6°.

Light 1 after 10 minutes was 85.0°.
Light 2 after 10 minutes was 85.5°.
Water temp was 81°

Direct lens reading of light 1 after 10 minutes was 127.6°.
Direct lens reading of light 2 after 10 minutes was 123.6°.

Conclusion is lights are fine for underwater use but are not topside usable due to intense case heat/temps. UV light test in sink water coming up next/soon.

UV underwater test results:

Again, in together in a standard SS kitchen sink full of water are:

Lights were both 78.1°
Full sink of water (8” deep) was 79.5°.

Light 1 after 3 minutes was 81.7°.
Light 2 after 3 minutes was 81.0°.
Water temp was 78.6°.

Light 1 after 10 minutes was 81.9°.
Light 2 after 10 minutes was 81.0°.
Water temp was 79.5°

Direct lens reading of light 1 after 10 minutes was 83.9°.
Direct lens reading of light 2 after 10 minutes was 94.1°.

Overall acceptable to us but wife recommends OT adds a disclaimer that they are not suitable for topside use as you seriously cannot handle these by ungloved hands after being activated for more than a few minutes. Looking forward to lake (green water) diving with them in 2 weeks and Caribbean (blue water) diving with them the following 2 weeks after that!

The D530V snoot will fit onto the D710V but it will not work because the snoot projects the shadow of the other 2 bulbs that are located inside the camera head/lens unfortunately FYI:

Attachments

• IMG_2037.jpeg
    IMG_2037.jpeg
    24.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2039.jpeg
    IMG_2039.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2041.jpeg
    IMG_2041.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 34
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back