Question OrcaTorch D710 Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vigge93

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everybody,

We recently acquired two OrcaTorch D710 lights. However, we have had quite a bit of problem with them.

The main problems that we’ve had are:
1. The torches don’t always respond to button presses. It only turns on/off or changes light strength sometimes when pressing the button. Sometimes it won’t turn off at all, no matter how many times you press the button.
2. The light output is not as strong as expected. When compared to the Xtar D26 Whale, which is a 1000 lumen light, the D710 has both a weaker spotlight, and does not cover as large of an area.
3. They seem to overheat and turn if quite quickly (within seconds) when powered on outside of the water. I know that they have an auto shutoff at 65°C, but I feel like they should be able to be on for more than a few seconds?

We have had them replaced once by the dive shop that we bought them from, but the new torches have the same result.

Has anyone else had these problems, or does anyone have any idea of what might be wrong?

I am having the exact same problems with my D710 (claimed to be 3000 lmn's) after only several hours of use.... I just contacted Orca Torch to see if they will make it right. We'll see... Here are are a couple of test photo's that I just took and with fully charged batteries in both lights. The "Brighter" light in the photo's is my Orca Torch D550 ( 950 lmns)...... The "yellow / dull" light is the D710. I bought the D550 from Dano at Mako and could not be happier with it... It was less than half the price of the D710.

First pic is about 5 ft from the wall and 2nd pic is about 15ft.

PS..... I'm now off to the Maco site to buy another one of Danno's D550's as I need a back-up and these are GREAT lights at a great price!

qLQzx8l.jpg

7FUvVa7.jpg

It might really help my cause if someone here is willing to take a quick photo of your D710 on a white wall from similar distances to those I posted above.... I'm really thinking that mine just has a bad diode. Thanks!

It might really help my cause if someone here is willing to take a quick photo of your D710 on a white wall from similar distances to those I posted above.... I'm really thinking that mine just has a bad diode. Thanks!
Wall isn’t white but center spot is, about 5 feet
737FE30D-89B0-4816-AC09-D4E6CD8440F5.jpeg

Awesome! Thanks! I just tried again with two different freshly charged batteries and get the same "dull yellow" result so it's pretty clear to me that it's a bad diode..... I want mine to look like yours! Even though it's past warranty I'm hoping that they might still take care of me.. We'll see!

I am having the exact same problems with my D710 (claimed to be 3000 lmn's) after only several hours of use.... I just contacted Orca Torch to see if they will make it right. We'll see... Here are are a couple of test photo's that I just took and with fully charged batteries in both lights. The "Brighter" light in the photo's is my Orca Torch D550 ( 950 lmns)...... The "yellow / dull" light is the D710. I bought the D550 from Dano at Mako and could not be happier with it... It was less than half the price of the D710.

First pic is about 5 ft from the wall and 2nd pic is about 15ft.

PS..... I'm now off to the Maco site to buy another one of Danno's D550's as I need a back-up and these are GREAT lights at a great price!

qLQzx8l.jpg

7FUvVa7.jpg

Yea there’s definitely something wrong with yours….and to get the 3000 lum you need to hold the button down. When you let go it’ll go back the the previous setting.

Thanks for the responses and for Lexvil's photo... I have been in contact with the Orca Torch team and after a few emails and photo's they are 100% replacing my D710. I have already recieved the tracking info and the new light is on the way. Here (below) is a copy and paste of the reply email... This is the kind of customer service that makes a vendor above and beyond the rest.... :)

Hi Hunter,

This is Cindy, the seller of Odepro Outdoor on Amazon. I received an email from the official OrcaTorch team, and I understand that you purchased an OrcaTorch D710 dive light from my store in Feb. 2022. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by the burnt LED. Firstly, can you provide me with your Amazon Order Number?

To remedy the situation, I would like to offer you a replacement D710 dive light free of charge. If you could kindly provide me with your shipping address, I will send the new light to you and provide you with the package tracking number as soon as it has been shipped.

Thank you for your understanding, and I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best regards,

Cindy from Odepro Outdoor

Thanks for the responses and for Lexvil's photo... I have been in contact with the Orca Torch team and after a few emails and photo's they are 100% replacing my D710. I have already recieved the tracking info and the new light is on the way. Here (below) is a copy and paste of the reply email... This is the kind of customer service that makes a vendor above and beyond the rest.... :)

Hi Hunter,

This is Cindy, the seller of Odepro Outdoor on Amazon. I received an email from the official OrcaTorch team, and I understand that you purchased an OrcaTorch D710 dive light from my store in Feb. 2022. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by the burnt LED. Firstly, can you provide me with your Amazon Order Number?

To remedy the situation, I would like to offer you a replacement D710 dive light free of charge. If you could kindly provide me with your shipping address, I will send the new light to you and provide you with the package tracking number as soon as it has been shipped.

Thank you for your understanding, and I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Best regards,

Cindy from Odepro Outdoor
I would have been shocked by any other outcome.

I would have been shocked by any other outcome.
Totally agree... But it's still very nice when a vendor stands up and makes things right. Means a lot to me and makes me more likely to use them in the future!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom