OrcaTorch 710D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mersco

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hey y'all! I've been using an orcatorch 710D for a few months now, and I love it. However, on my last dive the light was a bit dim and very yellow. No moisture in the battery compartment that I can see. Any advice?

Hey y'all! I've been using an orcatorch 710D for a few months now, and I love it. However, on my last dive the light was a bit dim and very yellow. No moisture in the battery compartment that I can see. Any advice?
Have you tried new batteries?

Speaking of new batteries...

I just got a D710 and I'm excited to try it underwater. But I want to get extra batteries for multi-dive days. The OrcaTorch 21700 batteries only seem to be sold a few places and the cost is over $40, and meanwhile I'm seeing other brand 21700 batteries for prices anywhere between $5 and $30.

Can someone help me figure out how to choose extra batteries that will work well without spending $45 each?

Thank you!

Speaking of new batteries...

I just got a D710 and I'm excited to try it underwater. But I want to get extra batteries for multi-dive days. The OrcaTorch 21700 batteries only seem to be sold a few places and the cost is over $40, and meanwhile I'm seeing other brand 21700 batteries for prices anywhere between $5 and $30.

Can someone help me figure out how to choose extra batteries that will work well without spending $45 each?

Thank you!

Just buy off brand batteries

These guys have great pricing and shipping is fast. I just ordered replacements for all my lights.

When they start going yellow often it's the LED itself, if that is the case here it won't improve but only get worse. I've had several LED lights go yellow, so much for the claim of 50,000 hours🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

When they start going yellow often it's the LED itself, if that is the case here it won't improve but only get worse. I've had several LED lights go yellow, so much for the claim of 50,000 hours🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️
It's often the driving circuitry that fails, not the LED.

It's often the driving circuitry that fails, not the LED.
Yes, that can also be the case. I'm my instances it was LED as I changed circuit board and the issue persisted. Changing actual LED solved the problem.

Not my words but some investigating came up with this:

"LED light-emitting technology uses diode blue light technology to mix yellow phosphors to emit white light. Therefore, the amount of blue light produced by the components will decrease after aging. At this time, the proportion of yellow light will increase, and the emitted light will turn yellow."

You don't have to buy an Orcatorch battery, if you want to replace the one in your D710. But, DO shop for a 21700 that is:

- button top
- protected
- has a built-in charger (unless you're okay with using a separate charger to charge it)

Being button top, protected, and having a built-in charger is why they're so expensive.

My DGX600 lights (2 of them) are over 8 years old now, have been mostly knocking around loose in my dive bag all that time, and still work like new. The don't LOOK like new, but they work like new.

The DGX700 is somewhat new and even better, as it uses the 21700 battery, so longer burntime and no separate charger to mess with.

This is a D710 and a DGX700 side by side, taken yesterday. Both with fully charged batteries. The DGX is brighter and has a slightly bigger spot. The D710 is on High, not Turbo. But, in Turbo mode, it is only slightly brighter and still not as bright, to my eye, as the DGX700.

Also, Dive Gear Express has an unlimited return policy. Just sayin'....

2023-10-02 15.15.14 (Large).jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom