Orange / Yellow DSMBs - and their use as signals in Tech Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After we beat to death the yellow/red DSMB; buoy colors; and which side of the road is the "correct" side,
we can continue the bickering with broadcast television standards.

NTSC = never twice same color.
PAL = peace at last
SECAM = something essentially contrary to the American method.

After we beat to death the yellow/red DSMB; buoy colors; and which side of the road is the "correct" side,
we can continue the bickering with broadcast television standards.

NTSC = never twice same color.
PAL = peace at last
SECAM = something essentially contrary to the American method.

Not as big a problem now - everything is digital.
The days of a Never The Same Colour conversion to PAL making them look green with liver problems are pretty much over.

Of course, theres DVB-S vs DVB-T and so on before we go into HD codecs :)

My main tech teaching comes from IANTD (I've done one TDI course, hated it, but that's another story). With IANTD the SMB only comes up if you have a problem, i.e you are seperated from the down line or come off the deco station. Therefore I carry one SMB, which is Orange and Yellow, also with my name on it.
If it comes up during a dive the support knows to come and check it for notes or otherwise I have briefed them on what to do if the SMB comes up e.g send down an extra 50% (as Kevin Gurr says 50% will get you out of trouble eventually)
I don't feel the need to carry two SMB's its only going to be extra kit to be worn and and extra kit to replace and I have enough. Most of the time I dived in Dahab, Egypt I avoided sending up the the damn thing unless absolutely required as Russian snorkellers would use it as flotation device!

There is clearly a consensus on lift bag color, depending on where you are and who you talk to. TDI states in their Decompression Procedures Guide (2000) that Yellow is for normal conditions and Red is used to indicate a problem. Maybe the [-]2010[/-] 2011 TDI Guide will state the opposite to be consistent with the rest of the world? Besides my initials, I have "OK" and "Need Help" written on different bags.

It's been mentioned earlier in the thread, but a potential solution to a lack of awareness/communication/education about the color coding system would be to put the letters "S O S" or "H E L P" on the top of the DSMB.

Come these are divers we are talking about more likely to be "O H C R A P" than "S O S"

My main tech teaching comes from IANTD (I've done one TDI course, hated it, but that's another story). With IANTD the SMB only comes up if you have a problem, i.e you are seperated from the down line or come off the deco station.

That's weird every dive boat I've been on in the UK has specified that you send the SMB when off the wreck/reef, I know there are some places that are slightly different (Dover because of all the ship traffic for instance) but that seems the exception (although a fairly common one) rather than the norm for the UK.

Surely you pick the instructor rather than the agency at the Tech level? ;-)

That's weird every dive boat I've been on in the UK has specified that you send the SMB when off the wreck/reef, I know there are some places that are slightly different (Dover because of all the ship traffic for instance) but that seems the exception (although a fairly common one) rather than the norm for the UK.

Surely you pick the instructor rather than the agency at the Tech level? ;-)

I think you're getting confused by my current location, I'm in the UK, but I wasn't referring to the UK in the reply.

With the training I found TDI courses to be wanting so I went back to IANTD, then I vetted IANTD instructors before taking the course (I would recommend my Full Trimix instructor to anyone). So I do look for the instructor, but he also needs to teach with an Agency I also trust.

My tech instructor taught me to put my name on my SMB's and when doing a deco dive to carry two bags. I shoot a yellow bag for normal ascent, and shoot a orange bag for emergencies (ie send down a safety diver). We always discuss this with the surface support staff before the dive.

Some of the guys down here in SOCAL are starting to use this system; however, they are using a yellow DSMB for ascent and an orange one to indicate a problem. I think the end result is that they are trying to create a system that the lifeguards can recognize at LaJolla Shores to alert them of an issue.

If they're starting the system, wouldn't it make MUCH more sense to do it the way it's done in the rest of the world? Seems like another example of things in the US having to be different "just 'cause."

Just as it is with imperial measurements that require you to consult a calculator while comparing prices at the supermarket or the pathetic excuse for a tank valve called "yoke."

I'm using my yellow bag for emergencies and my orange one for hang stops, partially because my orange bag only says "OMS" on it while my yellow one came with a big, fat "Emergency" written on it.

I would make a strong point for promoting this system, because I'd rather not have to think about it when I'm diving outside the US.

Good to see you on SB, by the way, Joe! :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom