Orange Beach, AL 8/27/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We had a wonderful trip diving on Sunday just off Orange Beach. It was a private dive boat (Plane2Sea) with new friends from Meridian Mississippi. We dove a tug 15 miles off shore first. It was a small wreck but the vis was beautiful. The seas were less than 1 foot and the sun came out just as we got on the wreck. This tug is just a shell but it had five toad fish on it. What fun. They are sooo ugly they are cute. We had our guns with us but all the fish were to small (even for me).

Our second dive was the old stand by - THE Navy Tug. All local divers know this site, but again vis was great - 80'. We could actually see the tug outline from the surface. Again no take-able fish but this dive is always fun. I would have been better off with my camera than my gun but who knew. I need fish!:(

Our third dive was interesting. We were on our way back to the beach and the bottom finder marked something. Being the adventurous group that we are, on went the tanks and over the side we went. It turned out to be an unnamed tug with 70' vis and very warm water. All day NO CURRENT. While we were down we saw three anchors so when we surfaced we decided to go back down after them.

On the fourth dive (wow), same location, we attempted to salvage the anchors but the lift bag had a leak and it turned into a cluster @#^%! :confused: As the lift bag went to the surface the leak became a small hole, then a larger hole. The anchors (2 large) started up :lol: then started back down. :confused: UH OH! We were hanging on our anchor line and watching our prize sink. At that point, end of fourth dive on two tanks, we were all out of air. Following the "live to fight another day" philosophy, we marked the spot and pledged to go back this weekend. We at least want our lift bag back!

Some day I'll learn not to dive with rednecks..... well, maybe not!

LOL Sounds like a fun set of dives and thanks for the great story! :D

Bring the camera this time!

I need any ideas on how I can take the camera and the gun down at the same time. And use both.

seadoggirl:
I need any ideas on how I can take the camera and the gun down at the same time. And use both.
What we do is have one buddy shoot the gun while the other buddy shoots the camera. :)
Rick

algulfdiver:
A helmet cam check out www.spearfishingmagazine.com and click on the video

That Helmet cam is pretty cool here is a small video which shows it in operation the viz is not the best but you can get an idea. http://sharkbyte.us/Videos/Middle%20Grounds%202006%20Spearfishing%20With%20Helmet%20Cam.wmv

The unknown wreck you spoke of was it in about 50" of water? If your interested drop me an Im and I'll point you to a free software where it shows all the wrecks and hazards along the Coast. Most I never even heard of. (from one spearo to another) :D

Helmet Cam!!! What will they think of next. Rick, give up either my gun or my camera... Are you nuts? I want it all!

Tom - hit me up with the dive software wil ya? I'm thinking its time to start getting brave with the Miss Jellyfish!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom