OPV plug failed open at 120psi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just so people are clear, we're taking about an OPV insert/plug like the kind you would put on a Drysuit inflator 1st stage.

So based on my random failure not due to high IP, this would have caused a complete loss of Drysuit inflation gas (if valve is not shutoff).

As I remember the valve relys on spring pressure, if the spring weakens for any reason, the relief pressure would lower and free flow.

Bob

Apparently DGX now sells the OPV as user adjustable.

The one I had that failed was not user adjustable but it looks like it has a hex head. I'll try and see if I can "adjust" it back to a reasonable IP level.

My current theory is that I have a "user adjustable" valve (even though it wasn't sold as one) and the IP setting got "shaken" loose over time.

Turns out my theory was correct. I do have an adjustable OPV even though it wasn't described as such.

Uses a 3mm hex

I adjusted it in until flush with the edges.

Not sure what IP this is, but it stopped leaking at 120psi.

Looks like my OPV valve is starting to wear out again. It is blowing at 120psi with the settings in my previous post. Now I have to screw it in all the way to seal at 120psi.

Maybe the spring inside is failing?

Back
Top Bottom