Optimum time for Diving NC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ManBearPig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I dove out of Morehead City last year, and it was by far the best diving I have ever done, to include Hawaii, Alaska, Bahamas, Coz, etc. Only downside was the second day got blown out by weather. I am going back sometime this summer and want to start planning same. My questions, is there a date range that statistically has better weather than standard? Last time I came for 2 days, and could only dive one. I am also wondering how many days I should plan on to ensure I get to dive at least 2 days. Maybe 4 diving days to hopefully get wet 2:idk:

For what its worth, I am thinking the June/July/August range of dates.

You did ok getting 1 out of 2 days. In the June to August time frame you can count on about 30% of the days over a 10 day period getting blown out. The shorter the span you choose the higher odds you have of not diving at all, just because you picked wrong day(s). As soon as you leave it might be fantastic for 3 days in a row.

In a nutshell here is a explanation of how the season progresses:
Spring to early summer: Cold fronts are the weather makers. They come through in 7-10 day cycles, making for 3-4 days of rough weather.
Mid Summer: The Bermuda high dominates the weather creating extended stretches of strong SW flow. Some days are rougher than others, some keep you in port.
Late Summer to early fall: Hurricane season...the weather is great when ever a named storm is not around
Fall: Cold fronts dominate again, but the water is warm and the days after a cold front settles out can be the best diving of the year.
Winter: BRRRRR but you sometimes can get the rare lucky day.

I wrote about this in a little more detail in this blog...
Spring Weather Patterns in NC | tortugacharters.net

Here is a blog I wrote about a 10 days stretch of beautiful weather last August... Another Stretch of Beautiful Weather | tortugacharters.net

Bottom line is, come stay a while. You will get your diving in MOST of the time. There is a lot to do ashore when the wind blows.

And remember...nobody on the boat wants to go diving more than the Captain, so if the trip gets called then you should be thankful, not upset. The old saying goes "It is much better to be on the land wishing ye were at sea, than to be at sea wishing ye were on the land"

Last edited:
What comes after a couple of days of bad weather on NC coast?

Monday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom