Opinnions please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tpolson88

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I know this isn't the offical spot for this but I like texans better LOL.

Am I taking unnecessray risk by not getting my regs bcd and computer not serviced each year. If so what are they???

why wouldn't you get you gear seviced?
do you change the oil in your car:confused:
lets not dive together ok -I really don't want to be the one your with when your gear decides to answer your question
:shakehead::shakehead:

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are good with rinsing and checking your reg prior to and post use, there is no reason it needs servicing every year. It's a profit center for the dive industry. Go ask the same question in the Regulator forum. Especially read the posts from DA Aquamaster, Luis and Phil Ellis. One of the guys over there regularly posts an excellent list of things to inspect a regulator for prior to use. Can't remember who though. Some of are the belief that the most likely time for a reg malfunction is immediately after servicing.

All a BC is is a bag of air with a simple inflator valve that you can fix yourself if it's sticky. Other than rinse the bag out, what would the "annual service" do?

Computers are good as long as the battery is good. Everytime you replace the battery you take a chance of not getting the o-ring seated and flooding the thing. Take it in prior to a big trip or when the battery indicator says it's getting low.

None of those things is exactly rocket science. The last two are mainly inconveniences and may end your dive and your day. Most reg failures are of the progressively getting worse kind like IP creep due to a worn HP seat and are not life threatening. The most likely catastrophic reg failures often occur after servicing.

Now none of this means you don't ever need to have your gear serviced. Just that you can do some of it yourself and the rest can go more than a year between servicing. Much more than a year in many cases depending on how well you take care of it. And make sure you get a tech that knows what they are doing.

Ok, that was unnecessarily harsh.

The service interval for cars was 3K miles for a long time. There are a few that still recommend 3K but most have gone to 5K.

Normally, regs start to bleed a little (free flow) when it's time. On a BC, the buttons may get sticky or bleed a little. Computers it's just a battery. Watch the indicator. If a free flowign reg is going to screw up a vacation, then get it done. Be sure to allow plenty of time to be done. If you're diving locally, and showing up at the site with a free flowing reg will just be a big inconvienence, then that's up to you. The longest interval that I know of is Atomics at two years. Then there is Scuba Pro's and Aqua Lungs warranties you need to be aware of.

TwoBit

I know this isn't the offical spot for this but I like texans better LOL.

Am I taking unnecessray risk by not getting my regs bcd and computer not serviced each year. If so what are they???

Reg - no, get an IP gauge like here Regulator Accessories - Dive Gear Express
Check for IP creep and make sure its in range, if no creep, and your in range (~140psi for most regs) and it doesn't breeth like crap or free flow, then rest easy.

BCD - buy one of thes to clean up your inflator, then inflate it, stick it in a corner for a few hours, if its still inflated your fine
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1302

Computer - is the battery still good?

Then go diving

When someone says "omg your gonna die" cause you don't service your reg every year, just nod your head, smile, say "OK" and just go diving. Or "I won't dive with you!" just nod your head, smile, say "OK" and just go diving.

Some of my regs have gone 3+ years without service and still breath ok, but I serviced them anyway at that point. The amount you dive on them and abuse them will change their service life between services. Other regs I service more often, some less.

Thanks all, those responses answered alot of questions for me also.
I have gotten my reg. and BC checked every year so far.
Still being fairly new to diving I would rather be safe than sorry. But I have known that it is not of dire need to have it done every year if you take care of it like you should. I always try to take care of the things that can save my life and on the things I spend a bit of money on.

To continue the "oil in your car" analogy...

It depends. The actual interval for changing oil in your car varies by the type of driving you do. The need to service your reg depends on the type/regularity of diving you do. Keep in mind a reg sitting unused doesn't mean it doesn't need service. seats wear when there is constant pressure on them. Are you going to get a catastrophic failure from that? Most likely not. But an annoying creep in IP and the leaking 2nd will get to be a pain.

And, anytime I get gear serviced I always dive it more than once before going on a trip. AS the above posts note, catastrophic failures often occur immediately after servicing. Usually still an annoyance than full-blown crisis, it can really crimp a diving trip.

I get a Guy to service all my rental gear about every 6 months! When he comes in I text all the divers in my area, even the government agencies to get their gear serviced seeing that the tech is here! Its usually just me and maybe a few others who take advantage of the service but usually after he has left people bring their gear to me for repairs. I can do it myself but most times tell them to take it to Davao for service as if they could not be bothered to get it done when the tech was here then thats their problem!
The main problems I find is hoses leaking and the first stage pressure creeping up!
I like to keep my gear well serviced as its very cheap here!

Thanks to all. That is kinda what I figured and I do most of my diving in sthillhouse and travis so the shops are never far away.
Taylor

Agree in general with Rick, the IP check is a good 'in the field' check and adjustment however do not leave out the second stage- the first stage is typically easy to do and what many focus on doing (the IP). If the second stage is incorrectly set then your experience will be not all it could be, and might even be exciting!

You will set the cracking pressure by a manual adjustment (won't go into that here). First stages are easy, second stages are more where the art comes in- its the combination of the two that you need to check.

Try it out- if you make a hash of it, you can always take it to your LDS and watch them do it so you know next time. This isn't rocket science.

My 2c.

P

Train Right!

Reg - no, get an IP gauge like here Regulator Accessories - Dive Gear Express
Check for IP creep and make sure its in range, if no creep, and your in range (~140psi for most regs) and it doesn't breeth like crap or free flow, then rest easy.

BCD - buy one of thes to clean up your inflator, then inflate it, stick it in a corner for a few hours, if its still inflated your fine
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1302

Computer - is the battery still good?

Then go diving

When someone says "omg your gonna die" cause you don't service your reg every year, just nod your head, smile, say "OK" and just go diving. Or "I won't dive with you!" just nod your head, smile, say "OK" and just go diving.

Some of my regs have gone 3+ years without service and still breath ok, but I serviced them anyway at that point. The amount you dive on them and abuse them will change their service life between services. Other regs I service more often, some less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom