Opinions - where IS the best place to dive in Italy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't have enough experience to be qualified to judge the best places in Italy but let me suggest to very good ones:

I just returned from Italy where I did a little diving with my son. We dove in Cinque Terre which is a special protected marine area and just at the French / Italian border from the town of Menton. (I'm not yet permitted to post URLs for some bizarre reason so I'll give you as much data as I can to help you connect with the dive operators and a suggested google search to find the URL.)

We dove twice in Mentone (which is just over the border in France) with an outfit from Ventimiglia that was absolutely fantastic from great staff to great rental gear. It's run by Manuela and Luca. They seem to be able to handle most languages and had newbies (like us) to very serious folks. Their details are below:

Manuela & Luca
Pianeta Blu
cell. +39.335.8155703 - 347.1012896
pianetablu@pianetablu.com
Search: pianetablu.com]
Pianeta Blu Diving Center

The other dive that we did was at Cinque Terre. There is only one authorized dive operator permitted to dive in the Marine Protected area. Do not be confused by others that have Cinque Terre in the name or URL. The only authorized dive operator is Associazione Diving 5 Terre, (google 5terrediving) phone 3900187920011. They too can handle English.

Don't have enough experience to be qualified to judge the best places in Italy but let me suggest to very good ones:

I just returned from Italy where I did a little diving with my son. We dove in Cinque Terre which is a special protected marine area and just at the French / Italian border from the town of Menton. (I'm not yet permitted to post URLs for some bizarre reason so I'll give you as much data as I can to help you connect with the dive operators and a suggested google search to find the URL.)

We dove twice in Mentone (which is just over the border in France) with an outfit from Ventimiglia that was absolutely fantastic from great staff to great rental gear. It's run by Manuela and Luca. They seem to be able to handle most languages and had newbies (like us) to very serious folks. Their details are below:

Manuela & Luca
Pianeta Blu
cell. +39.335.8155703 - 347.1012896
pianetablu@pianetablu.com
Search: pianetablu.com]
Pianeta Blu Diving Center

The other dive that we did was at Cinque Terre. There is only one authorized dive operator permitted to dive in the Marine Protected area. Do not be confused by others that have Cinque Terre in the name or URL. The only authorized dive operator is Associazione Diving 5 Terre, (google 5terrediving) phone 3900187920011. They too can handle English.

You are wrong about your assumption: Diving 5 Terre is NOT the only authorized diving center to dive in the Marine Protected Area.

In addition, you dove in Mentone and Cinque Terre, missing the Marine Protected Area of Portofino: you missed the best place to dive in Liguria, I'm sorry for you.

Ciao,A.

That would be Riomaggiore.

been diving there... nothing much. Theres a sharp thermocline which creates visibility issues.

this however is a great idea:

Another great place for diving is Isola d'Elba (Elba Isle): I spend every year 3-4 days diving there, and it's always fantastic.

Have a look at youtube under elba diving.

Maria of the abyss is a great dive.

Sorry correction: They are, according to their web site, the only Dive Shop located in the cinque terre protected area.

They were great.

Last edited:
Thanks to both of you. Found the dive shop you described: Associazione Diving 5 Terre, their URL is: .:: 5terrediving.it ::. - phone 3900187920011 in Riomaggiore. It is located in the tunnel on the way to the ocean. They are, according to their web site, the only Dive Shop in the cinque terre protected area.

They were great.

Hi Lee Anne i co-own a small dc in Santa Margherita (Portofino) we dive in the Protected marine park. its beautiful and there are many different dive sites with many species unique to this area because it is protected. the most famous dive in the Med as well - the Christ of the Abyss. Luca who runs the dc is fluent in english (unusual for italy!) + we can help you with accommodation. please dont hesitate to ask if you have any questions. check out our website for more info! hope to welcome you in October! Cathyx

Back
Top Bottom