Opinions wanted by Tech divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Morg_NZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Whats the best tech reg out there at the momment?

Some say the Mare others say apeks..............what's your view and ideas?

Ya, Mares? I've never heard of it mantioned in thoses circles. As Boogie said Apeks and SP. DiveRite one arent bad either if you ask me, but you might have a prob w/ service depending on your location

depends what type of tec dives you are doing.

For deep work, you need a top of the line diagfram reg.

Opinions differ which is the best, but at the end of the day, they are opinions.

I have used and owned the Mares abyss, the Micra, the Titan, Dive Rite etc etc, (not the apex yet) all are a little different.

The mares is a bit heavy and the MR16 has the same internal geometry as the MR22, just less metal, but it breathes at 60 m like it breathes at 60 ft, mares for years were a little special because the HP seats were less reliable than the US Divers/AquaLung.

The Micra, great reg but the 2nd stage is a ***** to open without a special tool. If it has a problem it is virtually impossible to fix in the field.

The Titan, has a similar first stage as the Micra, but the 2nd stage has a soft cover that can be opened without tools (even underwater if you look at what the DIR guys say).

For cave diving, I used to use Scuba Pro for no particular reason otherthan I got a bargain on them at the time and they were a good diafragm reg. I have since changed to the Sherwood Brut as it has less moving parts than just about any reg on the market and that means less potential points of failure. Anyone that has seen this reg in rental situations knows that it works for ever, you can run it over with a truck and it will still breathe as good as the micra (except v. deep). The caves here are shallow, so I dont need performance, I need reliability.

Hope that helps out a fellow kiwi a little m8.

Just curious...don't you find the constant stream of bubbles from the Brut highly irritating?

bwerb:
Just curious...don't you find the constant stream of bubbles from the Brut highly irritating?

leave my bubbles alone!

actually, they do take a little getting used to, but in reality, if the plug fits properly, they should be minimal to almost non existant, and they are a small price to pay for such simplicity and reliability in a reg.

Morg_NZ:
Whats the best tech reg out there at the momment?

Some say the Mare others say apeks..............what's your view and ideas?
APeks makes good regs no doubt.. The best breathing regs available today are the Poseidon Xtremes. If you haven't ever tried them side by side at depth don't even bother commenting.. There is no compairson at depth.

The newest poseidons are also very easy to service and I have never head of one freezing in even the coldest water.

These regs can also be easily modified for extreme service (that being True 300-400 bar fills) not that would be of an use In The US

I also like the scuba pro regs personally I prefer a g250 hp with a mk25 first stage but most of the seconds breath well..

I use Apeks regs on my RB, but will be switching to Poseidon xtreme first stages since I have seen a few too many APeks regs let go (hp failure) at depth including myself..

For depths up to about 200fsw or so the Atomic B1 and M1 regs are hard to beat, they dont use over balanced 1st stages like the apeks or just the great flow design of the Xtreme so their performance drops a bit compared to these regs, but are still top performers.

Currently I use the Diverite regs and have had no problems at any depth. In the past I have also used Scuba pro, Apex and Zeagle.

I feel most high performance regs today will perform well to most extreme depths.

What I concider even more important is the ability to fix a regulator while in the field without the need for specialized tools. A high performance regulator serves no purpose if its broken and lying in the bottom of your wet dive box.

Once you have chosen which regs to purchase, the next step is to be trained on their repair and stock your save a dive kit with at least one complete reg repair kit.

I have been looking at the new poseidon xtreme first stages for my Meg rebreather, just because of thier stainless ball bearing high pressure seat.

Curt Bowen:
Once you have chosen which regs to purchase, the next step is to be trained on their repair and stock your save a dive kit with at least one complete reg repair kit.
I couldn't agree more... Especially where you dive..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom