Opinions on the value of taking the course so you can use Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't stress on it Pink. Some of us know what you meant. I don't agree with using mean terms towards someone either but in this case I think someone is being a bit too sensitive. That is my own opinion.

And I have a family member that is 23 with the mental capability of a three year old. Let it pass and stop being overly sensitive. I didn't take offense to what she said. We are to worried these days about offending or being offended. We need to take a step back and lighten up a bit. We are gonna wind ourselves up so bad that any little thing said by anyone will start a fight or an argument. Stop worrying about being PC and worry about being decent human beings.

Back to our regularly scheduled thread...

Some think it's worth it, some don''t. I use nitrox when I can, because I think sometimes it's of benefit. Up to you to decide.
However, with 13 dives, I think you probably have enough things to think about whilst in the water, and suggest you focus on gathering more experience first.
That will help with making informed decisions about what's right for you.

In my opinion there are a lot of specialties that are not worth paying for but Nitrox is not one of those. I highly encourage nitrox. I personally would like to see it added to OW training, once I start teaching that is how I am going to run my courses. I know few peoe that got nitrox after years after OW training and the class takes longer because the instructor had to retract tables, it is easier to do a little work up front than have to reteach more later. Just my 2 cents.

Nitrox is especially useful if:

1) You are subject to one, or more, predisposing factors for DCS. It enables a higher degree of conservatism, if dived as per air profiles/NDLs.

2) You complete square profile dives, and cannot effectively extend bottom time through multi-level dive profiles via a computer.

3) You complete multi-day, repetitive dives and find that successive dives suffer from NDLs that prematurely shorten your desired bottom time.

4) You primarily dive with other divers who use nitrox.

Nitrox is not especially useful if:

1) Your bottom time is primarily dictated by your air consumption and you rarely, if ever, approach no-deco limits.

2) You do not have a reliable, convenient and cost-effective access to nitrox supply (rare nowadays).

3) Your dive buddy/group isn't using nitrox.

4) You are convinced that you are immune to DCS.

IMHO Nitrox is perfect for:

1) Liveaboard trips and other intensive diving periods, where you complete repetitive dives, including deep, over several days.
2) Wreck diving in the 80-130' range.
3) Divers with above-average air consumption and/or access to high capacity cylinders or doubles/sidemount.
4) Any combination of the above.

The 'restorative' effects of nitrox (i.e. feeling less tired after dives) are entirely unproven by research. However, many divers do testify that they feel less fatigued after diving when nitrox is used. That may be a placebo effect. However, if it makes you feel better, for whatever reason, then it has a value I guess.

Post-dive fatigue/lethargy/tiredness/aches may be indicative of non-symptomatic (micro) bubbles. We all get these to a varying degree. Personal physiology, dive profiles/schedules and other conditions/pre-disposing factors account for the variance. Divers can get 'used' to that feeling after dives - it becomes the norm. When they use nitrox, if not pushing the adjusted NDLs, they are benefiting from less nitrogen absorption - less post-dive (micro) bubbles... hence, they feel 'fresher'. Actually, they just feel normal... but, in doing so, notice that the 'usual' symptoms are reduced.

I dive EAN32 on the majority of my dives. I am a self confessed air hog, so NDL is very rarely my limiting factor. It helps that my LDS charges the same for air & banked EAN32, so cost is not the limiting factor.

I dive it anyway simply because I figure lower nitrogen loading cannot be all that bad a thing. When the occasion arises to do a 90 - 100 ffw dive, I can grab my full tanks from the garage and I am ready to go. When I am doing something shallower I am just loading less.

I am hailing from the same area as GCarter and using same LDS. I normally always have EAN32 in my tanks (singles and double). To re-emphasize the point made by Devondiver, around here it seems to be the perfect mix considering the depth, dive profiles, gas consumption, tanks being used by myself and dive buddies and the fact that most of them are also using Nitrox.

I would say it is a very useful tool to have at some point in time in your inventory. If you happen to be a air hog, you can always extend your dive time by using larger capacity tank. It is at this point that Nitrox may end up being useful.

Get some more experience IMHO..

When you are diving more and doing repeat dives..the safety factor can not be dismissed. When diving mutiple dives in a day like a live aboard or vacationing somewhere like Bonaire where you dive your ass off..its awesome and safer!

Since most people don't learn tables nowadays, there is the value of learning tables and how they work. Along with all the other physiology you learn. Of course, the value of being able to use the nitrox itself. I find, being able to use nitrox is really helpful on a dive trip, when we are hitting NDLs by the 3rd and 4th day, because we are diving 4-5 dives a day for a week or two at a time. Livaboards, Bonaire, Hawaii, we will certainly choose nitrox if available, because air would limit our bottom time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom