opinions on olympus cameras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

STOGEY

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've recently bought a olympus stylus 550 and under water housing. Any opinions on expereince wth this camera would be appreciated.

I like my SP350, though I will love it when I figure it out... Big learning curve with more than just a p&s.

I'm still using a couple of older C4000Z's in PT-010 housings and their still clicking.

I have an Olympus Stylus 600 and love it..... I also have the underwater housing and it has taken some great shots. It certainly not a DSLR camera but until I get more comfortable, it does just fine. I had bought a Sea Life DC 310 with a strobe and was horribly uncomfortable with it. In addition to it's a horrid camera and ALWAYS had problems.....

i had a oly-c8080 with a pt-023 housing with a TTL converter i loved it got great shots. it was what got me started into photography. they are great cameras and once you get over the learning curve thing will get easer.

I have a 5060 with the underwater case and it is great so far. I also am going through the learning curve but I am starting to figure it out.

using an E-330 dSLR here, but not yet underwater. For my first dSLR I can't really 'compare' to others but I'm finding I am learning it quickly, and often see from questions from others that it has features well-oriented to UW photography like one-touch white balance, and some of the extra spot-metering and AF setting options. Also the live-view feature is a nice PnS vs. dSLR crossover feature. Build quality seems very good.

But all my UW photography so far has been done with a Canon A520, with which I've had no real problems but not really gotten great pictures, as I only just got a strobe for it. (That's my excuse, at least :wink: ) Will use for the first time diving the Flower Gardens off the TX coastline this Labor Day weekend (weather permitting).

G'Day guys,:wink:

I have 2 friends that are using the Olympus 550. They are getting great macro photos, and using the diffuser that comes with the housing, with very little back scatter! (on Macro)

I have yet seen any quality wider angle shots from them but only because they are yet to add a strobe to there setup. and are concentrating on smaller stuff currently. I will pop them the question for you and try and get back to you in the next few days.

I am using the Olympus C8080 and and really enjoying using it. The feathures i believe are similar, except with a few options like AEL. The menus are easy to use, but it is worth playing arround every chance you get so that you dont need to think about how to set up that shot you want to take.

'My Modes' is a great feature that will help you quickly get set for correct shots. Worth having a play and setting up for a few standard scenarios. Macro, Wide angle natural light, etc...

I haven't had a look at the white balancing of that particular model, sorry. But again wouldnt mind knowing my self. I will pick the brains out of my mates. yummy., :D

I hope this helps you out.

Catch you arround.

Yours Truly,
Carl Fallon:14:

i just got a 550 with housing too. first time to bring it underwater on saturday. hope to get some tips too. from trial shots even on land, the camera seems to be very sensitive to even the slightest movement (breathing) when using the super macro setting.

G'Day Jigo,

(Correct me if i am wrong) The super macro setting will not allow you to use your in built flash. This is probably why you are getting some movement. The auto shutter speed isnt quick enough to free the image. You will really want arround 1/80 - 1/100 to get a sharp image. Are you using auto or P mode when using Super Macro? and is there enough light? (Sorry if i am just stating the obvious, i am not sure on your experince)

Yours Truly,
Carl Fallon

Back
Top Bottom