opinions on lasik

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have recently been thinking about getting lasik or another form of corrective eye surgery, is there anyone with it done already? Does it affect diving? Thanks for the help.

I have a question. I don't use glasses to read now and have been told that if I got Lasik done it would make my far vision better but screw up my near vision. True?

Diver Dennis:
I have a question. I don't use glasses to read now and have been told that if I got Lasik done it would make my far vision better but screw up my near vision. True?
It can be. They tell you you will need reading glasses later in life if not right away but you will anyway. Or you can get the mono vision, one eye close and one eye far. made me dizzy. I went from 20/250 to 20/15 and 20/20. LOVE IT! I have been blind my whole life. I dont even have any eye dryness to speak of.
Dont be cheap whit this one, there are many old machines out there still in use but the new hotrod eye cutters are worth the extra coin.

Can't speak for everyone, but that wasn't the case in my experience. Distance vision improved; near vision remained unchanged.

The caution my surgeon gave was that the Lasik procedure wouldn't prevent or even slow the onset of farsightedness that tends to comes naturally with age. Seven years post-Lasik and in my early 40s, I'm just starting to need reading glasses for tiny print.

I got Custom LASEK from Duke...One of the best doctors in the world (literally) Alan Carlson...People fly all over the world to get eye surgery from him...I LOVE IT...

it was extremely painful and I couldn't see for a loooooong time, but now I have like 15/20 in one eye and 20/20 in the other...

Loved mine!!! I also did mono vision. 20-20 distance eye and with my closeup eye it is still 20-50. I would recommed you trying mono-vision contacts for awhile before your surgery. Some people just can't adjust...Diving is wonderful without contacts, and the worry and eye irriatation that goes along with contacts

Back
Top Bottom