Opinions on Koh Tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loralei

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi folks.

I'm planning to go out to Koh Tao later this year to do a DM internship having been recommended it as somewhere to train if I want to become a really good DM. However - I have also heard it said on another diving forum that DMs trained in Koh Tao are generally 'clueless' and are considered elsewhere as little better than OW divers because the training standards are so low.

I'm not really looking for dive centre recommendations as this has been done on many threads before. I'm just interested to know what people's opinions are about the place generally. The person who strongly recommended Koh Tao to me is an experienced instructor who has worked in various places and said I would get very good training there; he also said that people outside Koh Tao respect DMs and instructors who trained there because it means you have experience of handling large numbers of students and fairly chaotic situtations.

Any thoughts one way or the other on the truth of the matter?

from a personal perspective if I were to choose a place to do a DM I would not choose Ko Tao but if I had to choose a place there I would be inclined to move away from the main town and find a dive opp on one of the quieter beaches where you can take as long or as little time as you like to complete your training in a more personal enviroment.
I have Dived with one of the biggest schools on Tao and was not impressed in the way they churn out qualifications especially Profesional qualifications.

he also said that people outside Koh Tao respect DMs and instructors who trained there because it means you have experience of handling large numbers of students and fairly chaotic situtations.

I wouldnt see that as a good thing "large groups" "chaotic" I rest my case.

I am sure there are others who will disagree with me but you asked for opinions.

Loralei,

Probably best thing to do is find a shop that can give you personal attention and where you feel good.

It's a bit more difficult to receive that personal attention if you're one of the many DMT's.

As anywhere else, Koh Tao can offer good training and you probably can find places where training isn't that 'good'.

I've dived Koh Tao, but not gone through any certs there. It is my understanding that many shops do consider certs there as less than ideal qualifications in an applicant's resume. However, you certainly can get good training if you find a good instructor and shop.

Thanks for the input.

limbo:
Loralei,
As anywhere else, Koh Tao can offer good training and you probably can find places where training isn't that 'good'.

I don't doubt this. I also think how good a DM you turn out also depends a lot on how much you put in, and I don't intend to go out there to party and scrape through with a cert having done the bare minimum. I think what I'm really trying to get at is the opinion of dive centres elsewhere in the world towards professionals who have trained in KT, especially as I'm hoping to carry on to IDC after. I don't want to work my butt off for a cert only to find I get no respect and thought of as barely qualified just because of where I trained!

Loralei,

Good attitude you seem to have, which in my opinion is one of your most important assets.

Have a look around at the forum and the various threads about Koh Tao. Maybe you should just go over and have a look and get a feel for it. Once you're a DM, dive shops should evaluate you on what you can do not necessarily on where you trained.

If you're in doubt, Koh Samui isn't too far away and has a lot more to offer in terms of non diving activities and convenience.

Hi Loralei

I was worried about a similar thing with my DM course. I did my Divemaster on Utila off the coast of Honduras. After leaving I heard that DM's from Utila arent respected as standards are low. However I havent had any problems with my professional career. 'Limbo' made a good point, a dive shop should evaluate you on ability rather than where you were trained. A good DM is quickly recognisable from a bad one. Have fun

Hi Loralei,

All i can say is that i'm working as an instructor on KT right now and i have done all my training here.

If u want to know more just PM me or email me for more info ok.

Deano

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom