Opinions on dive ops for Poor Knights Daytrips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markmantei

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Planning on diving the poor knights on April 21 and 22. Looking for recommendations on which dive op to use. From what I have found so far, the largest op seems to be Dive! Tutukaka, I also found a recommendation or two for Yukon Charters. I don't want to be stuck on a boat with a ton of other divers (smaller boats often are better, not so many divers crowding around kicking masks and reef, and silting up the area) but I also want to make sure the dives are guided (want to see the best stuff).

I used Dive Tutukaka 5 years ago and I found them to be OK. Not the smiliest bunch but they did seem to run things efficiently and safely. I recall that even though the boat had quite a few divers it didn't seem crowded. They allow unguided diving after proof of proficiency or will guide on request regardless. On my second day of diving with them after they had determined that I was OK underwater they put me on the advanced diver boat which had fewer clients. Both days I dove with them they had two boats with divers out at Poor Knights.

Make sure you dive this area...do not pass up this opportunity. For numbers and diversity of fish this is my top lifetime site.

edit add: After snooping around about Yukon Charters I would guess that you would do well with them. They have quite a few good recommendations and their boat seems to be the right size...more to my liking anyway

firstly, you really cant get too lost at the Knights - and you dont need a guide to see the best stuff ... its all just there!!

Noel and Jo from Yukon are friends of mine and i would definitely recommend them for day diving. they do have a guide and Noel will take you to the right spot for what you want to see and do.
they have a Facebook page - and Jo is always on the other end of the phone or just an email away. info@yukon.co.nz

You'll get as many recommendations as there are NZ divers on here!! :wink:

Unless you specifically need to do day trips (e.g. non diving partner), then you get more bang for your buck with a liveaboard. Both OceanBlue and Pacific Hideaway are good options. OceanBlue is more likely to have space, PH is a larger boat and often booked out by local dive shops. Kev who skippers OceanBlue also cooks a pretty mean curry which is almost worth it on it's own.

They provide a dive guide, but like Tara said you don't need a guide in terms of finding your way around. Though a good guide will point out the cool stuff that you might otherwise miss. The real beauty of the PKs is in the small creatures on the walls - if you cruise past the wall more than a few feet away, you'll mostly just see a blaze of encrusting life but none of the detail.

My personal preference for day trips is Dive! Tutukaka for a whole bunch of reasons. Firstly, you can almost guarantee that they will be going out on that day. Some of the other charters require minimum numbers that they don't always get. This is particularly an issue as you are planning to dive midweek at the tail end of the summer season. Some of the other charters simply won't have the numbers to warrant them going out.

D!T have a policy of always going if they can, the only thing that ever stops them is the weather. They've also had a bit of a renaissance in the last few years, a previous criticism has been that they always go to the same spots and are a bit rigid in terms of how the day runs. I've not noticed that in the last few years and have found them to be very flexible and accommodating.

Tara's recommendation of Yukon is also a good one, Noel is a crusty old bu&&er who adds flavour and character to a day out!

If you want to make the most of your days be squeezing in three dives, then you probably want to look at the fast boats - Bluzone, Poor Knights Divers and Adrenalin Charters have boats that will get you out to the islands in 30-40 minutes (as opposed to 50-60 minutes for others). I've never dived with Adrenalin, so can't comment on them. Both of the others may struggle to get sufficient divers for a midweek trip, but their boats are certainly not going to be crowded. I'm not a huge fan of either of the boats - Bluzone's boat (Rumblefish) has no shelter and PKD's boat (Shadowfax) isn't really set up for a 3 tank day.

So, given it's midweek - my suggestion would be D!T.

Shame it's not the 20/21. I could go for a dive on the 20th and would happily come along and show you around, but I can't get time off on Thursdays and Fridays.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments :D

Think I'll contact yukon and see if they think the timing will work. I can always leave Dive! Tutukaka as a backup if things don't look like they will work with yukon. I like the idea of being able to do 3 dives, but think maybe I'll just take it a little slower and try to enjoy the dives I do instead of cramming in a few more. Probably make my wife happier anyway :wink:

AndyNZ, too bad I can't make it work, I don't fly into auckland until the 20th :depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom