Opinions on custom wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WahooWolfe

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok fellow divers, I guess I must break down and purchase a new wetsuit. I had a Fathom custom wetsuit that was purchased many, many years ago, but it held up too good. Fathom has been out of business for many years. In fact, it's still in great condition, given it's many years, but I finally outgrew it and am now faced with the need to get a new suit. I am interested in hearing about everyone's preferences in wetsuits ( I prefer a farmer john and the jacket). I like the fact that I have a shorty readily available to dive the in warm waters in Florida, but yet I still have a full wetsuit, too.

I also hope to hear about the custom wetsuits that are out there.

Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions on manufacturers, styles, etc.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

The older you get the more likely you will fit an Akona :)

Designed with the average American in mind :)

Paul in VT

PaulChristenson:
The older you get the more likely you will fit an Akona :)

Designed with the average American in mind :)

Paul in VT
Now thats funny, I have an Akona and I'm ol... well never mind that part :wink:

If your suit is still in good condition it may be more cost effetive to ave it altered. They can open a seam add a "wedge". It's about $50 oe $60. Tere are many places in FL that make suits. Find a local one so they can measure you and judge the suit to see if it is worth putting money into.

I'm lucky, I fit into a stock Body Glove suit. But that 7mm suit's is getting pretty worn after just 200 dives and about a year and a half. I figure it will be shot after 300 dives. Divers I know don't get more than a few years use from a suit. If yours is old if may not be worth alterring.

You can try these guys www.scubal.com (AKA "tripple L") Decent quality and great prices

WahooWolfe:
Ok fellow divers, I guess I must break down and purchase a new wetsuit. I had a Fathom custom wetsuit that was purchased many, many years ago, but it held up too good. Fathom has been out of business for many years. In fact, it's still in great condition, given it's many years, but I finally outgrew it and am now faced with the need to get a new suit. I am interested in hearing about everyone's preferences in wetsuits ( I prefer a farmer john and the jacket). I like the fact that I have a shorty readily available to dive the in warm waters in Florida, but yet I still have a full wetsuit, too.

I also hope to hear about the custom wetsuits that are out there.

Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions on manufacturers, styles, etc.

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

You being in Florida I second getting it done locally. measured and fit by the maker.

I'm partial to Atlan but they are in Canada. We've also had some good work from LiquidFit out of Florida but the suits are farmed out so you're not dealing with the "tailor".

As for style I prefer a full suit with a hodded vest for a second core layer. If I want less protection than a full suit a thinner full suit is small money and you have full protectiom from stings, scrapes and all.

Pete

I have been extremely happy with 3 suits from Liquid Fit. The owner, Carolyn, spent over an hour on the phone with me to make sure that the measurements were just right. I had to have the first suit tweaked just a tiny biit. The other two suits have fit perfectly right out of the box.

Best suit I ever owned was a custom suit from M&B here in Long Beach. I wasn't even the first owner... it was given to me when a fellow avid diver retired. I think it lasted 13 years before I retired it (after a few alterations). Even with the legs chopped off it was the warmest suit I've ever had.

JMJ is a nother good SoCal outfit. Don't know anything about thosae in Florida though.

I got a custom full 3ml from Aquaflite and the fit was perfect. Probably because I had my measurements taken by the owner in Tampa. My suit was shipped to me five days later! Should be well worth your time to drive there from Orlando, WahooWolfe.

I had my custom suit made by Otterbay in Monterey California. The fit is real good, and that makes it work well. It usually takes several minutes at least for water to seep into everywhere.

Naturally it is a thick one for use around here. I use a 7mm two piece as is pretty common around here. Mine is a Farmer John and Jacket style. The jacket has a beaver tail with a special velcro flap attachment that Otterbay uses on most of their suits. It is a bit more difficult to don than one with a zipper, but it seals better because of it.

A buddy have one made about 4-5 years ago at Heat Wave in Santa Cruz. He opted for a 7mm one-piece as he doesn't get cold easy. He also opted for the zipper to be in the front so that it was easier to don & doff, and easier to shed to the waist during a surface interval. He can regulate the temperature easily with the front zipper.

Of course, if I had it to do over again, I would probably opt to save up and by a Drysuit instead.

Just a couple random thoughts.

Wristshot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom