Opinions on a few fin types for Tech Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, it is easier to control the jet of water coming off a relatively short and stiff fin, and in conditions where silting out can mean the difference between a fun dive and and a really stressful experience, controlling that jet of water is critical.

Smooth, simple fins have less of a tendency to get caught in line or cable or wire. Tech divers generally use spring straps, too, which don't have buckles and loose straps to catch things; either that, or they reverse and tape their straps.

Tech divers may need to haul a lot of gear through the water. You aren't very streamlined and efficient when you are carting a set of doubles, one or more deco bottles, and one or more stages; further, you have a tremendous amount of mass to move. Soft fins reduce your apparent leg effort for each kick, just like low gear on a bike does, but just like low gear, you end up producing less thrust for each kick (or pedal revolution). To a point, a stiffer fin simply transfers more of your kicking energy to the water, and that's useful when you're moving more stuff.

BTW, it's a WONDERFUL idea to start working on the skills you'd need in a cave or wreck now, when you're diving open water. You might consider, once you have put your gear together, looking for a class like GUE Fundamentals or an Intro to Tech class. You don't have to take those classes in doubles, and taking them in a single tank gives you a great foundation to work on skills you CAN learn in open water, and which do nothing but enhance your diving experience in any environment.

BTW, it's a WONDERFUL idea to start working on the skills you'd need in a cave or wreck now, when you're diving open water. You might consider, once you have put your gear together, looking for a class like GUE Fundamentals or an Intro to Tech class. You don't have to take those classes in doubles, and taking them in a single tank gives you a great foundation to work on skills you CAN learn in open water, and which do nothing but enhance your diving experience in any environment.

Thats a good Idea. I will have to look that up. I am very limited at my LDS on what they teach and the general skills they possess. I am doing my MD right now and have a Cavern class in late Feb. but that all for now I want to perfect a few basic skills before I get too deep.

I always had turtle fins with OMS springs, but about 6-7 months ago I got a pair of Hollis F-1's, I think I like them better. They seem lighter, more comfortable, just as powerful, really good feedback for control.

I have both Atomic and Apollo splits and love them... I believe they're superior if you cramp, and more effortless for recreational diving.

That being said, I agree with all the above... splits are *not* for tech/caving. I don't believe they silt any more than paddles (I've been diving both long enough to know I can skim the bottom with either, and not stir up the silt, if your buoyancy is under control) however, with tech/caving you need to execute additional skills: back finning, frog-kicking, helicopter finning, etc., which are certainly much more difficult, if not impossible, in splits.

Like anything else... situation dictates the gear...

I agree with BKP. I have the atomics and absolutely love them. I can fin circles around anyone and can really haul ass when needed. I have also had no problems pushing doubles with stages. I also have no problems with most of the diff kicks as well. They are also effortless and can be used all day with no leg issues. I believe they are the best rec fin out there.

All that said, they are very long and do have a tendency to snag things. They are a nightmare in caves and not the best choice. I can not for the life of me back fin in them. For open water technical diving, i do not find them to be a huge issue. The decreased effort of use outweights the downsides. That said almost no tech divers use them for the aforementioned reasons.

And they do not look cool.

JImmy

I've been diving the Hollis F-1's since Jan of 2008 when I got a set of prototypes to evaluate and test. I just got a couple months ago my second set with the two color scheme in the next size down. I love these fins. Responsive, powerful, comfortable, and with the factory springs and three adjustment setting for the straps they are the only fin I will use. Before that I used the old AL Blades, super rockets, and tried V-12's, some other paddle styles, and even a set of Force Fins. I am staying with my F1's. And paying more than $150 for fins? Nah, that just makes no sense to me.

That said almost no tech divers use them for the aforementioned reasons.

And they do not look cool.

JImmy

Thank you for your post. I really dont care what looks cool. I am all about what makes me a safe skilled diver. It seems the F1's are a favorite among cave/wreck divers. I will have to give them a shot. I know that there are many different styles of "Tech" diving and there are better fins foe each style I am sure. I am going to get a pair of Atomics because they beat any other fin I have tried but will keep them to open water. I will try the F1's soon and start working on my Kicks. I got a lot of lakes around here that have the FINEST silt ever that I dive to practice such skills.

I started out in a pair of Atomic splits - they are now for sale (size L - see link in my sig line below). They worked very well for me for flutter kicks, and I can frog kick in them just fine. I even learned a half-decent helicopter turn using those fins. But for fine control, and in particular back kicks, they just didn't do it for me.

I now use Hollis F1 fins for drysuit as well as 3 mil wetsuit diving. I also have a pair of Slipstreams, which would probably work ok for my wetsuit, but are way too light for drysuit and doubles.

Just another point of reference.

Henrik

Thank you for your post. I really dont care what looks cool. I am all about what makes me a safe skilled diver. It seems the F1's are a favorite among cave/wreck divers. I will have to give them a shot. I know that there are many different styles of "Tech" diving and there are better fins foe each style I am sure. I am going to get a pair of Atomics because they beat any other fin I have tried but will keep them to open water. I will try the F1's soon and start working on my Kicks. I got a lot of lakes around here that have the FINEST silt ever that I dive to practice such skills.

Given the dearth of replies here, I guess it would look like that. In all honesty, though, I have seen that Jets are the 80% majority in divers that are Tech 1 or better - you're just not hearing from them.

All the best, James

"split fins are for chicks"
a quote from a diver of ours a while back. still use it when selling fins.

i used to dive jets, but have switched to the new dive rites, LOVE them. way more comfortable than the jets, a little lighter, and a little longer blade that gives me a little more power on longer swims.
The novas don't frog kick or back up, were designed for flutters only.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom