Opinion on used tank ad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Guy is selling a HP 100 for $200 OBO. He doesn't know exactly what it is, but to me it looks like a Faber FX-100 with a coat of black paint over the stock white. It is in hydro/vis, needs a hydro later this year though.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/spo/301475408.html

Thoughts?

Probably a MP Faber (3180 +10%) that was rebranded and sold by Scubapro. Nice tanks, end up being about 7 pounds negative when empty, but I know lots of people that like them for single tank diving around here.

He's asking way too much. TDL recently had a sale on the same tanks for something like $200 new. Hydro/vis/cleaning is going to be about $40 (NWSD price, maybe more elsewhere) given that, I'd offer him $125 or so. Chances are it won't fail hydro, but it doesn't hurt to buy it, get it hydro'd and have a contingency to get your money back if it does.

The Faber MP wouldn't be stickered at 3442 PSI, would it? I'm trying to figure out what it is before I consider making an offer. If it doesn't have one of those DIN-convertible valves it's no good to me. And of course the seller doesn't know...

The TDL sale is great, but when you add in shipping it makes a used tank a contender again.

Thanks guys!

I'd guess you're right, it's probably a Faber HP100.

Depending on the age of the tank, $200 is a lot for a used HP100. It may be ok if this is it's first hydro (meaning it's only 4 years old), but consider the possibility that it will fail hydro when you determine if it's worth it to you. If it had new Hydro, I'd go for it, but not with less than one year to go... if it fails, that's an expensive price tag for one years' use.

I'd say make the guy hydro the tank, then pay the full $200. Or at a minimum, make sure he'll give you a refund if it fails, and hydro it right away.

People say steel tanks never fail hydro, but that's what happened to me on a used tank I picked up for $160 at a swap meet. Score! But 9 months later, it failed hydro. Not such a score after all... the person overfilled the heck out of it.

This tanks has been talked before... It looks very familiar....:confused:

Yeah, I just remembered that I started a similar thread a while back. I have a mind like a steel... sieve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom