Opinion on steel 72's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detcord

Registered
Reaction score
I was just given, as in free, 5 steel LP 72's. They are all US Diver, and a mix of dates around 1960. They were last hydro'ed in 1986. I have only used a single AL 80 before, so just wondering if these would make up good tanks for a set of double, once checked. I can get them checked fairly cheaply, but don't know what to do with them once they are good to go.

Sure would!

A lot of people love those old 72's. What's another great thing about them is if you were to buy them, you can get them very cheap today but they're still serviceable.

Remember, these are rated at 2250psi. Their baseline is .032. A LP85, rated at 2640 also has a baseline of .032. Put about 3000psi in them and you've got almost 100cuft of gas in each tank. Perfect for a small set of doubles!

got them free, awesome! :shocked2:

Free? Wow, nice deal!

If they have any rust (or goo or anything else) inside, get them tumbled.
They'll need to be hydro'd -- I can almost guarantee they'll pass unless they have been abused.
Make sure your hydro tester follows this procedure.

72s are nice tanks for easy no-stop diving; double 72s are a great, small pair of doubles.

Just be careful of the weight as doubles. My ex was worked manual labor and was 6'2" very fit. He still grunted when he stood up with steel 72s. But it helped in his air hog ways, we came up with the same air, me with the aluminum 80.

The steel 72s I've used are nowhere NEAR as heavy as the 104s, 108s, and 130s that I've used. I love those 72s. Wish I had half a dozen or so.

Love them, I have 10 of them, the oldest is 51 years old and I bought it new.

Attachments

• 72's.JPG
    72's.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 102
They suck. They are utterly useless. If you try to use them you will die.

I will provide you with my address. If you ship them to me, I will ensure that they are properly taken care of so that they will never harm another diver ever again.

Don't take any chances! Ship them to me as soon as you possibly can!

The life you save may be your own!!

:wink:

I have 3 of them, 2 setup as doubles, and 1 single. I LOVE them. The doubles are so nice and light, especially compared to the Faber Lp108's I used to own.

the oldest is 51 years old and I bought it new.

Now that's a statement you dont hear very often. Very cool!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom