Operators to Burma Banks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero

Will be missed
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've been through the archives and spent ages googling, but still don't have a good list of operators sailing to the Burma Banks. Since a boat may make just one trip a month up that way, finding the right boat with the right schedule at a price I like feels like putting a jigsaw puzzle together just by touch. Does such a list exist (or can we compile one) of the operators who do Burma Banks?

Is there a specific reason why you want just the Burma banks and not Mergui or Western Rockies? Plenty of boats go to Burmese waters ( thus supporting the oppressive regime in Yangon) from Ranong, Tap Lamu and Phuket.
One main reason many boats no longer go there is due to the damage from bombs and sharkfishing, which has decimated the silver tip population and has made seeing a few nurse sharks and leopard sharks a big deal.

There are plenty of boats going there. Burma Bank is just one of the many dive sites on Burma trips for most boats. Rumor has it that it was badly damaged during the tsunami though. I was there this past February and there weren't many sharks there. Beside sharks, Burma Bank does have one kind of blenny that is unique to the area, can't think of the name right now though.
See http://www.dive-aquasports.com/schedules.asp and www.panunee.com for a couple of boats that do go to Burma.

Quero:
I've been through the archives and spent ages googling, but still don't have a good list of operators sailing to the Burma Banks. Since a boat may make just one trip a month up that way, finding the right boat with the right schedule at a price I like feels like putting a jigsaw puzzle together just by touch. Does such a list exist (or can we compile one) of the operators who do Burma Banks?

Firstly, many of them give "the banks" a miss unless guests insist on it. The other dive sites in the Mergui Archipelago offer far more variety.

Some Boats :

Mermaid 1
Anggun
Ocean Rover
Faah Yai
Sai Mai
Colona II
Nautica (due to start ops in February)

Happy Diving

scubashooter:
Is there a specific reason why you want just the Burma banks and not Mergui or Western Rockies? Plenty of boats go to Burmese waters ( thus supporting the oppressive regime in Yangon) from Ranong, Tap Lamu and Phuket.
One main reason many boats no longer go there is due to the damage from bombs and sharkfishing, which has decimated the silver tip population and has made seeing a few nurse sharks and leopard sharks a big deal.

A specific reason? Befuddlement and ignorance, I would have to say. :blink:

I have heard so much good and also not so good about diving in Myanmar, that for my next dive trip north I thought it would be interesting to take a look. If nothing works out, I'll just dive some combo of Hin M, Hin D, Similans, Richelieu and Surin again, happily. (This will be my 4th trip to Thailand).

Sunrise, thanks for the list :colgate:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom