Opening a Mk5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For a tool to hold the body get a 6" long 3/8" fine thread bolt and nut. Screw the nut on the bolt until about 3/8" of threads protrude beyond the nut, screw the bolt into an HP port hand tight and snug the nut up to the regulator body.

No update yet. Advisor said jump and wouldn't take "dive?" for an answer. Awesome Memorial Day weekend spent in a windowless room.

I have gotten by for 10 years without it, but I'm sure it would make life easier.

Go to local Chinese food place and take the disposable chopsticks home. They do a good job on these o-rings.

My house might count as a Chinese food place. I'll give those a shot first.

My LDS tech complained about installing the o-ring inside the Mk5/10s. Am I likely to need https://www.scubatools.com/p-530-scubapro-mk5mk10-oring-tool-kit.aspx?

Not really, but did the LDS remove the old o-ring or did you do it? That's the part that does the most damage if not handled with care. I'm on my 3rd or 4th one and still scared to death whenever I poke a pick at that o-ring. Assuming this is good, then, here's my copy/paste:

DA Aquamaster said: "Poke the new o-ring in the hole long ways far enough to press the upper edge into one side of the groove. Hold that end in the groove with lateral presure using the the side of a straight o-ring pick, then from the other end (the HP seat end) push the other end of the o-ringup toward the groove with a suitable long skinny but flat on the end object like the long end of a 5/64" allen wrench. As you push it upward it shoudl roll into the groove. Sometimes they twist a bit and you make have to nudge it in place with the side of the o-ring pick, but it is something that is easy to do with just a bit of coordination and practice."

I use a technique adapted from genesis: lube the o-ring and the groove liberally, plug the short end with a plastic pen, poke the o-ring in from the other side, and use a wooden skewer or a thin chopstick to push the o-ring into the groove.

If you want to get extra fancy, you can fabricate a tool that replicates the left hand side of Scubatools' O’ring Stop Tool, maybe with a thin (1/4") plastic pen and a ring glued to it. The idea is to prevent the o-ring from going pass the groove when pushed from the "other" side. Right now, I'm looking at an old phone jack and figure it might work if cut to the proper length.

If you elect to stab the o-ring, work from the ambient side so any scratches are left on the upstream side of the groove that is not a sealing surface. I use a double hook pick that I bent a bit more to slip in next to the o-ring and hook it. Again, look at your tool and which surface may be damaged to select which side you want to work from.

Not really, but did the LDS remove the old o-ring or did you do it? That's the part that does the most damage if not handled with care. I'm on my 3rd or 4th one and still scared to death whenever I poke a pick at that o-ring. Assuming this is good, then, here's my copy/paste:

DA Aquamaster said: "Poke the new o-ring in the hole long ways far enough to press the upper edge into one side of the groove. Hold that end in the groove with lateral presure using the the side of a straight o-ring pick, then from the other end (the HP seat end) push the other end of the o-ringup toward the groove with a suitable long skinny but flat on the end object like the long end of a 5/64" allen wrench. As you push it upward it shoudl roll into the groove. Sometimes they twist a bit and you make have to nudge it in place with the side of the o-ring pick, but it is something that is easy to do with just a bit of coordination and practice."

I use a technique adapted from genesis: lube the o-ring and the groove liberally, plug the short end with a plastic pen, poke the o-ring in from the other side, and use a wooden skewer or a thin chopstick to push the o-ring into the groove.

If you want to get extra fancy, you can fabricate a tool that replicates the left hand side of Scubatools' O’ring Stop Tool, maybe with a thin (1/4") plastic pen and a ring glued to it. The idea is to prevent the o-ring from going pass the groove when pushed from the "other" side. Right now, I'm looking at an old phone jack and figure it might work if cut to the proper length.

I make my own picks out of brass rods. Since you got me thinking, I just tried them on each other: brass vs brass: no scratch. To be on the safe side, I'll give them yet another polish:D.

My LDS tech complained about installing the o-ring inside the Mk5/10s. Am I likely to need https://www.scubatools.com/p-530-scubapro-mk5mk10-oring-tool-kit.aspx?

You don't need the tool, the chopsticks work well. There are two common types of disposable chopsticks; square and round. The round ones work a lot better for this, although I like the square ones for eating.

You can squeeze the o-ring with some tweezers to feed it in, or use awap's trick of putting it in the end of a straw to squeeze it. Once one edge of the new o-ring is caught on the groove, it's just a matter of pushing it in place.

I also find that the double hook o-ring pick is perfect for removing the old one without scratching the groove. Putting a ding in that groove in the wrong place is one of the few things you can do to really ruin a MK5, so be careful.

Back
Top Bottom