Open water in Lake Superior on January 10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diverdon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
What a wonderful thing. Winter is usually a time that we can only dream of diving locally. Well, without the bother of breaking out chainsaws and chopping through ice.

Can anyone tell me the type of fish I woke up. Unintentionally, of course. I thought it was a piece of garbage. I am glad to say this area remains mostly free of trash. Our efforts are paying off.

If that dive light was much more intense it could pass for a light saber. The dead frog in pristine condition reminds me of dead fish, also untouched, at the bottom of the local quarry in 45 degree water (you said yours was 38 degrees!). Even the scavengers know that water is too cold! And you show some ice on the surface and snow on the shore. What exposure protection were you wearing to endure that cold?

Richard.

Heard on the weather here in the Chicago area last night that only 1.3% of the Great Lakes have ice coverage right now. That’s a record.

Wow. You polar bears can have yer ice water!!!:coffee:

I had 40 degree water last weekend at an OH quarry. Very, very few people will dive the Great Lakes in the winter.

Ice diving class next month in Wisconsin. Hope it’s cold enough for ice. Small inland lake.

If that dive light was much more intense it could pass for a light saber. The dead frog in pristine condition reminds me of dead fish, also untouched, at the bottom of the local quarry in 45 degree water (you said yours was 38 degrees!). Even the scavengers know that water is too cold! And you show some ice on the surface and snow on the shore. What exposure protection were you wearing to endure that cold?

Richard.

Hey Richard,

I do like the light and I take comfort knowing it'll outlast me in these waters.

Under my Waterproof drysuit I have mid-weight viking drysuit underwear that I got with my Extreme about 20 years ago. I don't feel the need to use anything else until the water gets warmer. When it hits 50 I typically retire the drysuit and grab my one piece 5 mil.

I hope everyone is able to enjoy local diving in crazy times like these.

Be safe,

DD

I had 40 degree water last weekend at an OH quarry. Very, very few people will dive the Great Lakes in the winter.

Ice diving class next month in Wisconsin. Hope it’s cold enough for ice. Small inland lake.

A lot of inland lakes are ice covered here and plenty of folks are ice fishing.

Good luck ice diving. It's a blast. Where in WI are you taking the class?

A lot of inland lakes are ice covered here and plenty of folks are ice fishing.

Good luck ice diving. It's a blast. Where in WI are you taking the class?

Madison.

Tamara's shop? Do they ice dive the lakes in town?
There won't be any ice diving in Superior this year. Amazing the difference between this year and last.
Good luck and have fun, Marie

Tamara's shop? Do they ice dive the lakes in town?
There won't be any ice diving in Superior this year. Amazing the difference between this year and last.
Good luck and have fun, Marie

Yes, they’ll usually ice dive Lake Mendota, but I was told they had to go up to Wazee last year.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom