Open Water Certified Seeks Training and Employment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zach_shaw

New
Reaction score
Hello

My name is Zach Shaw, I am PADI open water certified, I was looking for someone to train me as an apprentice to divemaster preceeding employment. I will work for 10 to 15 dollars US or equivilent. I am currently 20 years old. I am looking for long term employment. I will be available starting June or July 2005 if you catch me soon enough. If not I will be available December 2005, I can move anywhere, hablo espanol, In the meantime I'll be brushing up on my foreign languages and studying scuba and a little bit of school. Zach SHaw
14620 Military Tr
Wamego Ks 66547

785-456-9455
zach_shaw@hotmail.com

zach_shaw:
Hello

My name is Zach Shaw, I am PADI open water certified, I was looking for someone to train me as an apprentice to divemaster preceeding employment. I will work for 10 to 15 dollars US or equivilent. I am currently 20 years old. I am looking for long term employment. I will be available starting June or July 2005 if you catch me soon enough. If not I will be available December 2005, I can move anywhere, hablo espanol, In the meantime I'll be brushing up on my foreign languages and studying scuba and a little bit of school. Zach SHaw
14620 Military Tr
Wamego Ks 66547

785-456-9455
zach_shaw@hotmail.com

You want someone to pay you to learn how to be a divemaster? You got your steps a little backwards here. First you pay to get your divemaster, then people hire you. You might want to go get rescue certified as well since its required to be a DM. Hate to say it, but right now you have no skills that are going to be in demand by a person seeking help. Go get your training first then try again.

Hehehe... an apprenticeship that pays $10-15 an hour? Most instructors aren't making that much....

There's jobs available... if you're willing to relocate anywhere, and you want to make a career out of diving, maybe take a look at commercial diving, or one of the professional dive instructor schools.

Like Knight said, with just basic open water certification, it will likely be next to impossible to find employment.

If you're posting this question because you're trying to find a way to finance continuing your dive career, and see an internship as a way to get your DM for free, you might seriously consider one of the commercial or instructor schools. It may be possible to arrange financial aid through one of them, although it will likely come in the form of student loans.

Good luck!

-B.

Don't feel bad Zach. I have LOTS of certifications and diving just costs me money. In fact I remember working for way less than I spend on diving some years.

It's possible that the ad you saw in Florida was following the common training/hiring practice.

Essentially, you pay for the Divemaster course, and any related prerequisite instruction (AOW, Rescue, Etc.), and they provide an (unpaid) internship for you to start learning about the business, and accumulate dives. Once you finish Divemaster, if a DM job is available, they'll hire you (and start paying you) until you finish your Instructor education, after which you continue working for them as an instructor.

Instructors will always be in far greater demand than Divemasters. Also keep in mind, that without your DM certification, you're very limited on what tasks you can perform for a dive shop / dive charter. It will limit you to out of water tasks, which you may or may not be interested in.

By the way.. there's a post in the help wanted forum from a dive op in Cancun (I think) that is looking for DM's. They follow the train to hire program outlined above, and their costs are pretty reasonable. If you speak spanish, and have a few thousand dollars to get started with, that might be a great option for you.

I've never heard of a train to hire program without costs involved... if that was what the Florida ad was advertising, I'd check the details very carefully.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just point you in the right direction. The dive industry is a difficult one to scratch a living in, although plenty are managing to do it.

-B

The closest I’ve seen to what you seem to be looking for is that sometimes a shop will hire someone to work in retail, and in addition to pay (usually minimum wage), the new employee gets discounts (as low as cost) for dive gear and courses. The simple fact is that anything that is fun (scuba) is low paying.

Get some dives under your belt and work up your certs., right now you have more to learn than skills to offer anyone. I know a few dive shop owners and managers and they all look for the same thing first - dive experience. You're going to need to pay through DM, atleast through Rescue. DM requires both water and interpersonal skills.

Good luck with your aspirations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom